Anybody got a recipe for the cheese pie we used to have at school?

Hello

i may be scoffed at by foodies for asking this question but, as the thread title suggests, is there a recipe out there for the type of cheese flan that used to bef served up for school dinners. it wasn't the texture of a quiche, it was kind of spongy and always used to come with a slice of tomato on top. I'm begging anybody who used to make this in a school kitchen to give me the recipe :). If you don't want it go public you can pm me! :hihi:.

Waiting in anticipation and many thanks in advance for any replies

I can't help but it made me think about school dinners, cheese flan and potato croquettes followed by sponge pudding and pink custard. The stuff dreams are made of!

My mum used to be a cook in a school. And im sure she once said, its the same as a normal quiche but the cheaper the ingredients, the more it'll taste like a school one. And she means everything, down to value brand oil (if you need oil, I dont eat this kind of thing so wouldnt know!) xx

I'm not dissing your mum here but it really wasn't the texure of quiche. If there was an egg in it, it was just used to bind the other ingredients. If you can get an actual recipe from your mum, that would be great, if not, thanks for responding :)

I can't help but it made me think about school dinners, cheese flan and potato croquettes followed by sponge pudding and pink custard. The stuff dreams are made of!
It's the bannana custard and cornflake tart that i remember most :D

I'm not dissing your mum here but it really wasn't the texure of quiche. If there was an egg in it, it was just used to bind the other ingredients. If you can get an actual recipe from your mum, that would be great, if not, thanks for responding :)

I will ask her when I speak to her. I might have got the wrong receipe with the cheaper ingredients :hihi: She used to make it at home though so she does know how. I always remember, every friday whatever was on offer at school - that was our tea (my mum was on her own, very much skint), I hated it but atleast we ate :)

Oh the cornflake dessert that was yummy so was the flan x

There is a recipe for it here. Not quite sure on how good it is. There are eggs in it but I think the amount of cheese gives it that bounciness.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/thread/threadid/23949

My nanan makes cheese flan with tomato's on top! She was a cook for like 40 years and makes some of the tastiest food ever. She makes like 3 for us when we go up on Saturday's.

Cheese flan, smileys and beans :D

God, I remember that Cheese Pie at Bradway County School, had big lumps of boiled egg in it, yuk, it was vile!!!

God, I remember that Cheese Pie at Bradway County School, had big lumps of boiled egg in it, yuk, it was vile!!!

Haha god knows what you were eating but it wasn't cheese flan!

Sounds pretty vile though!

Haha god knows what you were eating but it wasn't cheese flan!

Sounds pretty vile though!

It was Cheese Pie, the word used to spread round the playground like wildfire when it was on the menu! Worse thing was, you had to eat it, the teacher on duty wouldn't let you scrape it into the slop tray. We used to chuck it on the floor under the table

http://www.schoolrecipes.co.uk/

try here.

they have the cheese flan recipie along with the cornflake tart and that toffee tart thing that came with the little slodge of fake cream on it, yummy!