DWP Redundancies -Well Done

This forums full of them unfortunately.

Edited by Cycleracer

As of last week staff have been made redundant at the little job centre on manor top.

You sure they weren't staff on fixed term contracts coming to the end of their contracts? As far as I know, no DWP staff in Sheffield have been made compulsory redundant.

The person i spoke to (works at Manor top), said the people in her office were being made redundant. Nothing about contracts coming to an end.

So i guess either my friend or PaulTansley may have their wires crossed

Why do they require security guards in the first place :huh: i have never seen anybody kicking off in the jobcentre and as for the DWP staff i have never had a problem with them i find them really helpful but maybe that's because i sign on in chesterfield the one in sheffield might be different.

There are bad staff at the DWP. Just as there are some very nasty staff at this wiseability quango. Before we make any Job Centre staff redundant we need to rid the DWP of all the quango's that have been created. Let us get back to finding work for people not just attend for waste of time interviews. I have never had to sign on the dole and have been lucky. Now I am retired. But I know many that do use this service. As a retired advice worker and community worker I still enjoy helping people. But at times this can be expensive. I have a few locals that call to see me at times to ring the DWP or the Pensions Offices. I am disgusted that clients cannot go straight to an office with a problem, They have to ring, Even when they are starting a new claim they have to ring and make a claim over the phone. But the number is an 0845 number. Just the other day I saw a young woman crying close to the phone box. As I passed she asked if I copuld lend her 50p. I found out after talking to her that she had spent her last £1.50p trying to ring the DWP. I invited her to use my phone ( I knew her ). She was on the phone for 15 minutes listening to music. I asked her if I could speak to the person that answered the phone to her. I asked if they could ring my number back and I explained why. NO was the answer . I found out this was wrong and she should have called back. Glad to say the young woman managed to get sorted. She also put £2 through my letter box two days later.

There are bad staff at the DWP. Just as there are some very nasty staff at this wiseability quango. Before we make any Job Centre staff redundant we need to rid the DWP of all the quango's that have been created. Let us get back to finding work for people not just attend for waste of time interviews. I have never had to sign on the dole and have been lucky. Now I am retired. But I know many that do use this service. As a retired advice worker and community worker I still enjoy helping people. But at times this can be expensive. I have a few locals that call to see me at times to ring the DWP or the Pensions Offices. I am disgusted that clients cannot go straight to an office with a problem, They have to ring, Even when they are starting a new claim they have to ring and make a claim over the phone. But the number is an 0845 number. Just the other day I saw a young woman crying close to the phone box. As I passed she asked if I copuld lend her 50p. I found out after talking to her that she had spent her last £1.50p trying to ring the DWP. I invited her to use my phone ( I knew her ). She was on the phone for 15 minutes listening to music. I asked her if I could speak to the person that answered the phone to her. I asked if they could ring my number back and I explained why. NO was the answer . I found out this was wrong and she should have called back. Glad to say the young woman managed to get sorted. She also put £2 through my letter box two days later.

dont forget these so called Quango's were created because the job centre were over loaded and could not cope with after the amount of "clients" they had. i think they should tighten the belt on Job seekers as everyone knows the majority of claimants are not even bothered in looking for employment they are just in a comfort zone sitting on benefits. as i have said in a previous post the only people not suffering from the cut backs are the ones claiming JSA, even people claiming incapacity benefits are suffering cutbacks! but the biggest drain on society (Dolers) are still propping up the bankers draft bar!

OK lets get things straight here. I work for DWP and am currently training to work at the Jobcentre. Being an employee of the Department I can say that Jobcentre staff are not being made redundant, people on fixed term contracts are having to leave which is why they need more permanent staff in the Jobcentres. Jobs are being cut elsewhere in the DWP but not in the Jobcentres, which is why staff are moving into the Jobcentres. This is a fact from someone who works there and isn't just making assumptions.

There is no Jobcentre at the Manor Top as far as I am aware but there is one on Eastern Avenue at Arberthorne if thats the one you are thinking of. I doubt that there are redundancies there, the person who is leaving is no doubt a fixed term contract worker and is just using the term 'redundancy' as some people do.

As far as I am aware security guards are there just to ensure there are no kicks offs and to deal with the situation if there is. There are floorwalkers who greet jobseekers at the door and direct them to where they need to be. They may take the details initally and take the signing card but then the people who need to sign on will come to an officer such as myself, we shall still need to ask their details and see their signing card. The floorwalkers are there to direct people to where they need to be so that they are not just walking around the Jobcentre not knowing who to see or what to do. The majority of people do go to sign on, some go for interviews with Personal Advisers, some just want to use the phone or the job points to look for jobs.

There are different people who use Jobcentres. Yes there will always be those who don't want to work and abuse the benefit system but there are also those who have been made redundant and genuinely want another job or have just left school and want to work. We are trained not to stereotype people and to treat them all with politeness and respect. There will always be kick offs in Jobcentres from some people, especially when benefits are refused for whatever reason, thats why security guards are there to protect staff and other customers.

I agree that the call centre approach to making new claims isn't a brilliant idea, as most people would rather go into the Jobcentre and claim in person but every place seems to have a call centre of some kind now. The main thing is that everyone can see an officer in person when they come to sign on fortnightly for their benefits.

As for those here who are wishing DWP staff out of work, that is quite laughable. If we were all made redundant then no benefits would be paid and would that make you happy? Think about things before you say something ridiculous.

OK lets get things straight here. I work for DWP and am currently training to work at the Jobcentre. Being an employee of the Department I can say that Jobcentre staff are not being made redundant, people on fixed term contracts are having to leave which is why they need more permanent staff in the Jobcentres. Jobs are being cut elsewhere in the DWP but not in the Jobcentres, which is why staff are moving into the Jobcentres. This is a fact from someone who works there and isn't just making assumptions.

There is no Jobcentre at the Manor Top as far as I am aware but there is one on Eastern Avenue at Arberthorne if thats the one you are thinking of. I doubt that there are redundancies there, the person who is leaving is no doubt a fixed term contract worker and is just using the term 'redundancy' as some people do.

As far as I am aware security guards are there just to ensure there are no kicks offs and to deal with the situation if there is. There are floorwalkers who greet jobseekers at the door and direct them to where they need to be. They may take the details initally and take the signing card but then the people who need to sign on will come to an officer such as myself, we shall still need to ask their details and see their signing card. The floorwalkers are there to direct people to where they need to be so that they are not just walking around the Jobcentre not knowing who to see or what to do. The majority of people do go to sign on, some go for interviews with Personal Advisers, some just want to use the phone or the job points to look for jobs.

There are different people who use Jobcentres. Yes there will always be those who don't want to work and abuse the benefit system but there are also those who have been made redundant and genuinely want another job or have just left school and want to work. We are trained not to stereotype people and to treat them all with politeness and respect. There will always be kick offs in Jobcentres from some people, especially when benefits are refused for whatever reason, thats why security guards are there to protect staff and other customers.

I agree that the call centre approach to making new claims isn't a brilliant idea, as most people would rather go into the Jobcentre and claim in person but every place seems to have a call centre of some kind now. The main thing is that everyone can see an officer in person when they come to sign on fortnightly for their benefits.

As for those here who are wishing DWP staff out of work, that is quite laughable. If we were all made redundant then no benefits would be paid and would that make you happy? Think about things before you say something ridiculous.

I think you should check with your union as that's one of the reasons that staff at Jobcentres have been holding strikes. Part of it has also to do with the proposed changes in the redundancy payment scheme. This government are trying to make it easier and cheaper to make people redundant.

I must admit that the staff on Eastern avenue are polite and helpful and the security staff are mainly just that. Its only at busy times that they help in taking peoples signing on books.

I think you should check with your union as that's one of the reasons that staff at Jobcentres have been holding strikes. Part of it has also to do with the proposed changes in the redundancy payment scheme. This government are trying to make it easier and cheaper to make people redundant.

I must admit that the staff on Eastern avenue are polite and helpful and the security staff are mainly just that. Its only at busy times that they help in taking peoples signing on books.

Do you actually work for the DWP? If not, where do you get your information from and are so sure it is right? Yes there have been strikes at the Jobcentres but in Sheffield the strikes have been for the call centre staff because of their working conditions. I know this as we were told when we signed up for training that we couldn't strike because it was for call centre staff only. Yes the Government are trying to make it cheaper to make staff redundant but this is for other DWP staff, not staff in the Jobcentres, staff are needed in the Jobcentres. If this were not the case they would not be moving staff there.

What an amusing read for a relaxing stella'd up sunday night.....just hope the op gets his dolecheque stopped,goes into west street and gets greeted by 4 security guards an a load of alco's and druggies in a big ruck, gets socked a few times,then a greeter will come an ask him ''which department'', to which he/she will reply...''a+e''.....

Stereotyping all then

Edited by Cycleracer

Do you actually work for the DWP? If not, where do you get your information from and are so sure it is right?

Have you read any of the union reports yet?

Quote from the Lincoln area.

"Graham Peck, PCS Lincolnshire branch secretary representing the Department for Work and Pensions workers, said any plans to reduce protection for members would lead to more people being compulsorily made redundant or having their jobs privatised.

The strike action will affect Jobcentres across the county as well as the Jobcentre and Jobcentre call centre in Lincoln and the courts and other government departments," he said.

So the outcome (redundancies) is likely to affect Jobcentre staff as well.