Disabled badge- the rules

I've read that I can park on double yellow lines and single yellow lines with my disabled badge.

I did this the other day on south road and got a parking ticket for 60 quid.

Can someone clear this up for me, did they make the mistake or me :confused:

I don't agree that I should be able to park on yellow lines and not residential permit areas but there you go - I read you can, so I did.

I can't understand why they wrote out the ticket when my badge was in the window :confused:

Hiya

Sorry to hear you got a ticket - did u display the correct time on your clock disc?

where you parked in a dangerous place or blocking roadways footpatsh etc?

I have a member of my family who has a blue badge - and i have never been able to find clear instructions on where u can park and how long for - for example when parked at a meter are u limited to a time restriction??

Originally posted by Lotti

I've read that I can park on double yellow lines and single yellow lines with my disabled badge.

I did this the other day on south road and got a parking ticket for 60 quid.

Can someone clear this up for me, did they make the mistake or me :confused:

I don't agree that I should be able to park on yellow lines and not residential permit areas but there you go - I read you can, so I did.

I can't understand why they wrote out the ticket when my badge was in the window :confused:

lotti, if you write a letter explaining you were displaying your badge and the correct time and photocopy your badge send it to parking services and they should overturn it,they did mine once:thumbsup:

Originally posted by roughy101

lotti, if you write a letter explaining you were displaying your badge and the correct time and photocopy your badge send it to parking services and they should overturn it,they did mine once:thumbsup:

Lotti, I did the same as roughy101 and got the ticket overtuned. Did you display the correct side of the permit badge ? ie. expiry date visible and not your photo !

that could have been the problem

hope this helps, good luck

deecee

I know the badge is the right way around, but I can't remember if I put my dial in or not. damnit.

I wasn't parked dangerously, I know that if you've not displayed your badge you can appeal and say you do have one but didn't have it with you, can I do the same for my dial - just say that I displayed my badge and say how long I was there for. It annoyed me because the traffic wardens go around every hour anyway so they knew I hadn't gone over the 3 hour limit :mad:

I feel a bit daft now :blush:

Thanks all for your help :thumbsup:

A "blue" badge doesn't actually entitle you to park anywhere, but it does make it possible for you to park in areas where drivers without a badge can't.

I think you'll find that, as double yellows are normally "no loading" areas, you can get a parking fine, whether you're showing your badge or not.

Single yellows aren't so clear-cut. It is always wise to check the parking notices (usually on lamp posts) to see if there is any time restriction or whether there is no loading at certain times.

You can park at a meter free for an indefinite period, unless there is a time restriction displayed....the same applies to parking bays for the disabled.

oh ok,

so you can park on a yellow line/double lines as long as there's no time restriction displayed on a sign.

I didn't know that - it was on South Road and the ticket says it was for parking there within a restricted time.

Poo.

Hi Lottie

I'm sorry to say that you've probably been caught out by the new crackdown to stop South Road being a slalom course.

South Road is a clearway during both rush hours, and you can't park on a clearway, even with your clock showing properly. Clearways that are in operation for only a few hours a day catch all of us out occasionally.

It also has the very thick yellow lines which are bus stop markers, where you would also have got a ticket.

So, for the bits of South Road that aren't covered by the thick yellow lines you can park on the single or double yellows, but only outside the hours of clearway/loading ban, and only if there isn't anything nearby that can be seen as a hazard (a friend got a ticket after somebody else parked on the other side of the road after she had already left her car, and both cars got ticketed as a result- unfair, as the area was clear when she parked, but she couldn't prove it).

Archived