Cheap brands in Local shops

bellis

• 6 months later...

i also worked in hillards before it changed to tesco?

i worked in 1974(nov) and left may 1980 to have my eldest daughter.

i have seen a few people that worked there i would know by sight and have recently heard anne fitzmaurice reached a special birthday,have you got news,the shop in the non-food dept looks like it could do with more than the health inspector to sort it out.

Originally posted by rosiebear

i also worked in hillards before it changed to tesco?

i worked in 1974(nov) and left may 1980 to have my eldest daughter.

i have seen a few people that worked there i would know by sight and have recently heard anne fitzmaurice reached a special birthday,have you got news,the shop in the non-food dept looks like it could do with more than the health inspector to sort it out.

Then you must have served me at some point. Hillards was about the nearest 'supermarket' to where I lived at the bottom end of Sicey Avenue (Ecclesfield end).

Other "local" shops I remember were

"Gowers and Burgins " on the John-o-Gaunt shops, Blackstock Road on Gleadless Valley. (there were at least a couple of other branches of G&B across Sheffield)

And there was Shentalls, with branches on John-o-Gaunt shops, and The Pavement, Park Hill Flats (which was one of the local chains that fine fare took over, before fine fare shut down. well, no they didn't exactly get "shut down"; frank dee and his supermarket chain took them over (also known as "frank dee" and "Challenge", and IIRC "Mac Markets" and I have forgotten the other names before they all became Somerfield)

I also remember Liptons' Super market, at Halifax Road, Wadsley Bridge area

PT

Originally posted by panda79

:)

anyone remember the local shops from years ago ... u no the cheap stuff bit like happy shopper stuff i can still remember the my mum range of products and in the 70s there was a cheap brand called bob ...and while im talkin about the 70s anyone remember hillards at lane top:)

BOB was the collective name of shops, who to compete with the emerging supermarkets, came up with the name from Bulk organised Buying.

The shop near the post-office on London Road, Highfields now called "Beers and Steers" used to be a "BOB" shop.

The little wooden hut of a shop that stands alone, in the grounds of the Northern General hospital, as you come in from the Herries Road entrance (after the flower shops etc) is still referred to as the "BOB-shop". (it think it sells things under the "Today's" brand, these days)

PT

• 1 year later...
wen i was about 9 i rember my mum takin me to eucomarket in eccelsfield think its a co op now

oh those where the days:thumbsup:

Yes you are right about Eucomarket. Mr and Mrs John Braybrook held the franchise and the store was opened my the DJ Alan Freeman. As you say it is now the Co-op. I remember the current Miss India at the time, opening Hillards next to the Essoldo at Lane Top.

Other "local" shops I remember were

"Gowers and Burgins " on the John-o-Gaunt shops, Blackstock Road on Gleadless Valley. (there were at least a couple of other branches of G&B across Sheffield)

And there was Shentalls, with branches on John-o-Gaunt shops, and The Pavement, Park Hill Flats (which was one of the local chains that fine fare took over, before fine fare shut down. well, no they didn't exactly get "shut down"; frank dee and his supermarket chain took them over (also known as "frank dee" and "Challenge", and IIRC "Mac Markets" and I have forgotten the other names before they all became Somerfield)

I also remember Liptons' Super market, at Halifax Road, Wadsley Bridge area

PT

There was a Gower and Burgon's shop on the corner of The Common and Mill Road, Ecclesfield. It had previously been The Globe Tea Company. In the early days it was owned by Mr and Mrs Briggs. Now it is Lloyd's Chemist.

Archived