Save Travellers Inn Fireplace

You're not kidding!

Far from kicking up a fuss about their demolition, when the cooling towers at Tinsley were destroyed in 2008, a sizeable crowd of Sheffielders stood in Meadowhell car park at 3 in the morning and cheered. :(

John X

Sorry John X but I couldn't understand why anyone would want to save bog standard cooing towers.

Sorry John X but I couldn't understand why anyone would want to save bog standard cooing towers.

Because they were a very high profile part of Sheffield's proud industrial heritage.

And when you came back to Sheffield on the M1 from the North or South, they were the first sight you saw and let you know you were nearly home. :)

John X

Love to know where extra jobs are coming from!! Is there more money being spent in the retail sector?? If people start shopping here they stop shopping elsewhere hence job losses.

I can see Travelers shutting and no new supermarket opening due to ASDA opening up the road.

2x asda stores

2 x morrison stores

numerous mini marts around the area lidl/netto

its just another excuse to drop a pub and bang a corner shop on it

on a bloody roundabout too- where is the sense

for the life of me i cannot understand why the so called group that have made thousands over the yrs and still are with their carpark scheme haven;t come forward and got it hooked up

A WEDNESDAY PUB is needed in the area and on the door step theres been one for yrs and now all there is is the park in reality and thats hit and miss with the ticket entry on a match day

Because they were a very high profile part of Sheffield's proud industrial heritage.

And when you came back to Sheffield on the M1 from the North or South, they were the first sight you saw and let you know you were nearly home. :)

John X

Are there no motorway signs on that stretch of M1?

I assume thousands of sheffielders now end up in Derbyshire or beyond when travelling South now they have gone.

Did you really call them the cooing towers? hehe.

I thought the whole point, other than the sentimental value of the homecoming signs, was that they weren't bog standard?

Some of the more disinterested parties who wanted to save them commented that they were unique in design and only ones of their type anywhere? I don't know as I'm not an expert on cooling towers but they did have those friezes around the rims and seemed smaller and narrower than the ones around Selby.

It's true that no-one seems to care about irreplacable industrial heritage and yet kick up a stink about some bog standard thatched cottage or georgian building that there are hundreds of around the country. Some sort of inverted snobbery?

Thank you for your support. Hopefully we can at least preserve one small piece of Wadsley heritage.

But everyone is right it does depend on where the building is and how big it is as to whether it gets listed or not.

Far too many stately homes are supported in my view which are not of unique architectural merit purely that someone built a large house on the proceeds of the slave trade.

Whereas the smaller places that belonged to someone who got their money by hard work have long since been bulldozed.

It only recently that anyone has bothered about industrial archeaology. Heritage Sites like Wortley Forge have had to fight hard to preserve the ancient forge while Dronfield has covered up a Tudor forge with a shopping centre full of hairdressers and beauty therapists so you can't even see the old structure.