Meadowhall

Hello out there in Sheffield my name is Merlin and I was wondering if you had any comments to make on the shopping centre namely ""Meadowhall good or bad please have your say I want to know the true thoughts of sheffield folk on the UK’s 3rd largest shopping centre.

What shopping centres are bigger than Meadowhall?

I'm one of Meadowhall's fans, but I know quite a lot of people round here don't like it. Admittedly, it does get very busy at this time of year, and shopping there can get very tedious. The rest of the year it's great though, IMO.

Out of interest how is the size of these shopping centres measured?

Is it by size of selling floor in square feet?

Number of shops?

Overall acres of land?

I think the only ones bigger are Bluewater and another down south whose name eludes me!

I personally think meadowhall is great :) not only does it give you a wider choice of goods (as you can go shopping in both town and meadowhall and get different stuff) but it produces a hell of a lot of jobs for the local area

Could the one your thinking of be Lakeside in Essex?

I used to shop at Lakeside and Bluewater before I moved here.

Not a big fan of Lakeside myself, Blue water is good but doesn't have a Debenhams. Personally I prefer Meadowhall but then maybe I'm biased. For what it's worth my sister prefers it too...

I thought I read somewhere the Trafford Centre is bigger than Meadowhall ?

Originally posted by Siân

I thought I read somewhere the Trafford Centre is bigger than Meadowhall ?

I believe they have more shops, but its not as big in terms of max capacity. Trafford has quite a few small shops and a larger area dedicated to "The Lanes" type shops.

Originally posted by Lickszz

Could the one your thinking of be Lakeside in Essex?

That would be it yes! :D:thumbsup:

In that case personally I prefer Meadowhall to Lakeside :-)

I've read conflicting reports about which is the biggest. I've even seen it stated that Metro Centre could be the bigger than Meadowhall. Which is why I would like confirmation on how this is measured.

The Trafford Centre is supposedly bigger because it has 280ish shops as opposed to Meadowhalls 270. However, the Trafford Centre has fewer big shops and department stores and definitely seems to take less time to walk from one end to the other. It is also a blatent clone of Meadowhall in many respects. The Italian restaurant in the food area of the Trafford Centre however is a lot better than Mama Amalfis at Meadowhall. Can't remember the name of it now, but its pretty big and the food was nice.

If you've ever been to west edmonton mall in Canada you'd not be as impressed with Meadowhell... Makes the place look like a childrens ballpool in comparison..

All told though, it's big enough to be manageable IMHO. :)

Martin_s you stole my comment.

Merlin, there's loadsa great responses on here but nearly everyone I know calls it Meadowhell.

I've found that everywhere in Sheffield is quiet in the morning - you know when most people are still in hangoverland on a saturday or even sunday.

I only normally go to Meadowhell when people visit and I get dragged round. However saying that it is convenient - and much easier than traipsing from one end of The Moor right to castle Market! So I do go when I have to.

I agree with the comment about choice - often stores which have town and Meadowhall stores have different items in stock and different sale offers and stuff - which is good EXCEPT it means I sometimes have to go shopping TWICE. (and shopping's not my favourite thing at the best of times)

:o