Supertram line extensions? Sheffield to Rotherham?

ive just heard on radio sheffield there have been given go head to exstend the supertram to rotherham

what do you think is it a good thing or not

i feel we the puplic should have a say where we would like it to be exstended

Didn't they say this years ago, and never act on it?

I don't use the tram anyway, it's never been close enough to anywhere I've lived.

No doubt if it is extended it will just be from Meadowhall into Rotherham centre.

yes there did say this years ago but it looks like its for real this time extended from meadowhall to parkgate there said

This has been said for years and its never happened, it would probably be a good thing but i'll believe it when I see it

Its not a Supertram extension as such, its a tram/train

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-12844983

If I remember rightly, it will join the railway line just before it gets to the Meadowhall South stop and use the single track freight line to Rotherham station, and then on to Parkgate

I think it would maybe be more beneficial to extend it to more areas of Sheffield before they expand into Rotherham. Just getting more Sheffield people to be able to catch the tram to work would be good for the company, if extending from Meadowhall to Parkgate, its only aimed at shoppers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-12844983

If I remember rightly, it will join the railway line just before it gets to the Meadowhall South stop and use the single track freight line to Rotherham station, and then on to Parkgate

Oh, so its not a stagecoach supertram as such? Will just use tram tracks?

I think it would maybe be more beneficial to extend it to more areas of Sheffield before they expand into Rotherham. Just getting more Sheffield people to be able to catch the tram to work would be good for the company, if extending from Meadowhall to Parkgate, its only aimed at shoppers.

Not really - it goes through Rotherham train station so its aimed at commuters. Rotherham has an awful service to Sheffield, 2 trains an hour if I recall during the day, it might get the odd peak extra but places like Wakefield have 5 trains an hour to Leeds for most of the day, Rotherham/Sheffield is a similar catchment.

Oh, so its not a stagecoach supertram as such? Will just use tram tracks?

It will use the Yellow tram line as far as just before Meadowhall South/Tinsely (it could go into Meadowhall terminus and reverse, not too sure), then join the freight line there and go to Rotherham there the rest of the way. I assume the track will be doubled otherwise it makes timetabling difficult.

"The continental-style carriages, which operate on both tram tracks and existing railways, could run between Sheffield and Rotherham from 2014"

Exactly and as such, is probably a much cheaper way of extending the tram network than digging up loads of roads and extending it up Abbeydale Road or Ecclesall Road.

One of the main expenses will be the 5 new train trams and any other extension of the network would require both additional vehicles and expensive roadworks.

I think it would maybe be more beneficial to extend it to more areas of Sheffield before they expand into Rotherham.

And much more expensive, for reasons cited in my previous post.

And much more expensive, for reasons cited in my previous post.

Yes, I did type that before I read the news reports on how it would be done. I was just expecting Stagecoach Supertram tracks to be built all the way over into Rotherham.