Classes in using a sewing machine?

I know it sounds really daft, but are there classes for learning how to use a sewing machine?

I used to use my mums old one all the time as a teenager, but I bought a small one the other month cos the fancy took me, and I'm really struggling with it - I seem to have forgotten everything I ever learned!

What about paying a seamstress for a few lessons? There are dressmaking and soft furnishing courses at colleges but you have to sign up for a certain length of time.

try direct knitting on attercliffe road.

also the bank street art gallery have been advertising various textiles classes on the forum recently.

x

Hi,

Just letting you know that Running with Scissors is now back in business (after my maternity leave) and we run Sewing Machines for Beginners workshops - it's one of our most popular courses!

We are also now taking bookings for curtian making for beginners, felt jewellry making, sock monsters, origami fabric flowers and a mother and baby session.

All the details are on http://www.rwssheffield.co.uk or you can e-mail at [email protected]

Emma

Running With Scissors

Have 1 place on my course at Bank Street Arts this Saturday & running another on May 7th. I take any skill level and because its a small class I am able to help on an individual basis.

Contact Gillian Kay for more information:

M: 0777 9928 722

E: [email protected]

I went on Gillian's sewing course at Bank Street Arts this Saturday and it was brilliant! I made a really lovely bag and incorporated techniques I wanted to learn, like putting in a zip and patchwork. I highly recommend it.

Thanks Gill! :-)

Thanks to Dewback for the feedback. Its really nice to hear that I'm doing things right. Next lesson Saturday May 7th - doing the bag again plus a couple of people are bringing in the projects they are working on for guidance & help.

I know it sounds really daft, but are there classes for learning how to use a sewing machine?

I used to use my mums old one all the time as a teenager, but I bought a small one the other month cos the fancy took me, and I'm really struggling with it - I seem to have forgotten everything I ever learned!

Hi. I'm sorta going through the same, I used to use my mom's ancient singer machine as a teen but now, after getting married, I inherited my sis-in-law's latest singer machine. It's comparatively quite hi-tech!

What i find that is really helping me is watching You Tube videos!! Just search up anything like "how to thread a sewing machine" or "how to wind a bobbin" and there are videos of just about everything.

I'm not a good seamstress, just fiddling about with the machine. Managed to make two little pincushions and convert hubby's cargos into shorts, lol! :hihi:

If more people are interested, we could do a free sewing club at some location, watcha think? I'm in the 3rd trimester of my pregnancy and looking to make some simple quilts for baby these days ... so i'm all up for ideas and support. :hihi:

Good luck!

Yes there are classes. The lady at a beutician salan I go to has just started classes but she lives in Rotherham. She is going to a class at a college but only on a night or afternoon class basis. She said they are teaching her how ti use the sewing machine but the class isn't restricted to dress making or soft furnishings. They can take anything in these want to learn to do. My sister-in-law has also been going to night classes in Rotherham too but that might be specifically dress making for beginners.

I went on one of running with scissors' classes a few weeks ago and I've been using my sewing machine loads since! Mainly sock monkeys and other animals, but i made my daughter a bag out of her old jeans the other day.

If more people are interested, we could do a free sewing club at some location, watcha think? I'm in the 3rd trimester of my pregnancy and looking to make some simple quilts for baby these days ... so i'm all up for ideas and support. :hihi:

Good luck!

That sounds good. Quilts are about the only thing I can actually make! I think I need to practice more on general stuff, never done zips or button holes.