35mm slides to digital

harvey19

How good quality do you want them to be?

A film or slide scanner will be best such as nikon make but they are £500 ish quite slow if you want them high resolution and massive files

a flat bed scanner (£100-150 ish) with a lighted lid and slide holders does give quite good results and does 4 at once taking about 2-3 mins per 4

there are also cheap film/ slide scanners <£100 that give appalling results

How good quality do you want them to be?

A film or slide scanner will be best such as nikon make but they are £500 ish quite slow if you want them high resolution and massive files

a flat bed scanner (£100-150 ish) with a lighted lid and slide holders does give quite good results and does 4 at once taking about 2-3 mins per 4

there are also cheap film/ slide scanners <£100 that give appalling results

Hi Ian,

thankyou for the advice, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

I may end up photographing them backlit by a light box.

Hi Ian,

thankyou for the advice, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

I may end up photographing them backlit by a light box.

Recently, I've seen a couple of "slide copiers" on e-bay. This is vintage stuff from the days when you copied slides onto film, but I don't see why they wouldn't work on a digital camera.

Harvey, I have just bought a slide scanner of off ebay. It cost £50 and works without being attached to a computer. It scans straight to a sd card, then you can download the images onto your computer or any other device as you wish. To see them log onto ebay and the photography section then move to the film camera accessories section and finally onto scanners, and there they are. Alternatively, I can scan them for you at £1.00 per image when I receive my scanner and establish that it works properly. I have 7000 to scan and have been quoted a lot of money. You can imagine how much I am saving.

Barry

Harvey, I have just bought a slide scanner of off ebay. It cost £50 and works without being attached to a computer. It scans straight to a sd card, then you can download the images onto your computer or any other device as you wish. To see them log onto ebay and the photography section then move to the film camera accessories section and finally onto scanners, and there they are. Alternatively, I can scan them for you at £1.00 per image when I receive my scanner and establish that it works properly. I have 7000 to scan and have been quoted a lot of money. You can imagine how much I am saving.

Barry

Hi Barry,

thanks for the advice. I have decided to buy a daylight balanced slide viewer and rephotograph the slides onto digital. I think this will be the quickest and cheapest way.

Regards, Phil.