Famous People From Rotherham

I know its not Sheffield, but almost, get your thinking caps on and lets see if we can cobble together a list of famous Rotherham lads and lasses.

I'll start you all off with a couple of rouges

The Chuckle Brothers & Jive Bunny.

Please please please, lets come up with something a bit better. I am often embarressed when I get into a discussion about home towns and its famous sons and daughters. Another one I have just thought of is

Colonol H.Jones, the guy who got a VC in the Falklands :clap:

Thanks in advance.

Does William Hague count? I'd say not, but he went to my school, irritating little fart.

I grudgingly suppose he does, Wath would be considered as Rotherham.

I have just remembered another Wath boy, Toby Foster, the comedian, my wife was at Wath Comp at the same time.

Originally posted by SlinkyMinky

I grudgingly suppose he does, Wath would be considered as Rotherham.

I have just remembered another Wath boy, Toby Foster, the comedian, my wife was at Wath Comp at the same time.

When was your wife at Wath? I was there 70-75,probably before your time.

One of the band Saxon lived just outside the school gates at Swinton Comp, I remember that well as I went to Swinton.

My wife was at Wath in the 80's she is 36 now.

Swinton was my third choice, after Mexborough. Sorry Swinton. I remember having a good old drink in the Woodman after getting my O level results.

I now live in Mexborough, I must have been a murderer in a past life for that !!! Woodman eh ! Not been in there for a while, I often go in the Kings Head though

Col. H. Jones. VC. Parachute Regiment, came from Putney nr. London. Sergeant Ian Mackay VC, Parachute Regiment, came from Wortley originally and resided near Rotherham. Please get your facts right when discussing VC holders. The least we can do when discussing men who gave their lives in service to their country.

Apologies dude. Hope you won't lose any sleep over it! If the worst thing I do in life is mix up my VC holders home towns, I am sure I will still go to heaven. Thank god I didn't say they had won a GC or god forbid a Purple Heart.

Thanks for putting me straight, I feel suitably chastised.

Youve been through enough slinky if you live in Mexborough, dont be too hard on yourself.

I lived in Denaby Main for a short while, and if I was bored I would shop in Mexborough. Well off for cheap shops and charity shops. Not the place it used to be. What happened to the Market???