Remember Enamel ?

Toproud

Ive got a photo of King G wearing shorts on the Vanguard:huh::huh:

Not sure what it's got to do with enamel but I remember visiting

HMS Vanguard in the 50's whilst she was anchored in Portsmouth harbour. According to Wiki she was the last battleship to be built by the Royal Navy

(1944) and was scrapped in 1960 without firing a gun in anger. All I remember was the huge size of her and the massive guns she had. For a long time I had a souvenir booklet of the visit but like many other things it's disappeared in the mists of time.

Enamel cookware, plates and mugs are still made and easy to get hold of and are still popular, especially with campers because it's unbreakable. The big brand is Falcon.

http://www.nimbusproducts.co.uk/whitemain.html

We had to buy an enamel plate and mug from the Scout Shop on Trippet Lane to put in our kit bags along with rough blankets, giant safety pin and a ground sheet prior to going to the campsite at Chapeltown with the cubs.

We only camped one night, and that was indoors, due to the wet weather so no singing of songs around the camp fire for me. Never went again.

We had to buy an enamel plate and mug from the Scout Shop on Trippet Lane to put in our kit bags along with rough blankets, giant safety pin and a ground sheet prior to going to the campsite at Chapeltown with the cubs.

We only camped one night, and that was indoors, due to the wet weather so no singing of songs around the camp fire for me. Never went again.

higha when i worked artside in the fifties we all used mashing cans with a cup that fitted in the top the last one i had was priced at 1s,11d, at the time a pint of beer was 1s.2d.that one i bought at a little shop down clarence street.the beauty of these cans were when you worked outside like if there were only two of you, you could use one or the other to boil the water for a mash

Edited by willybite