What's the British/English Dream?

Every country has a cultural base that states what the citizens of that nation must strive to have a good life.

The American Dream is striving to have an independent self-reliant life and eventually become wealthy. Japan doesn't have anything defined, but it seems like it's to make your parents proud more than anything. South Koreans has a fixation to be a good Korean to serve the nation, either through military service or a commitment of convictions.

What to the British/English believe in? The "we won the war" and "god save the queen" attitude seems to have faded by now.

The American dream is the only one that I'm aware of, I couldn't tell you if there's a British dream, if there is I must have missed it.

"It's never about winning, just keep the poor poor and put on a jolly good show."

The dream for many British people is "do as little as possible and get paid as much as possible"

Not everyone in this country has that attitude, but its becoming more and more common

The dream for many British people is "do as little as possible and get paid as much as possible"

Not everyone in this country has that attitude, but its becoming more and more common

I see nothing wrong in that concept, in fact I would go as far as seeing it as a dream, so I'm probably in your minority. Expecting something for nothing is a different concept.

I've learnd that acquiring money is only a means to freedom, you can't consume yourself to happiness.

Personally I don't understand people who adhere to the notion that working yourself into

a grave is somehow noble.

I think there are to many masochists in this country, bitter ones at that. Dreaming for me is about keeping the vultures at bay and enjoying my life as much as possible rather than worrying what others have, or dream of having.

Isn't that just called being efficient?

Every country has a cultural base that states what the citizens of that nation must strive to have a good life.

The American Dream is striving to have an independent self-reliant life and eventually become wealthy. Japan doesn't have anything defined, but it seems like it's to make your parents proud more than anything. South Koreans has a fixation to be a good Korean to serve the nation, either through military service or a commitment of convictions.

What to the British/English believe in? The "we won the war" and "god save the queen" attitude seems to have faded by now.

Unfortunately there is very little of Great Britain left, so if there was a "British dream", you certainly won't find it here anymore.

I dream that I will, in some small way, make my community a better place than it was before I came along. The definitition of 'my community' is a very personal thing though and can range from your house and your street to your country and the whole world.

There are too many people for whom their greatest achievement is merely producing the next generation. We should strive to do more than that, and I think that benchmark should apply to everyone.

I think that should be the British dream.

Should be isn't the same as is though. I don't think there is a British dream, everyone is different and we all have different aspirations in life.

Isn't that just called being efficient?

Normally yes but I'm not sure I'd use that term to describe today's Jeremy Kyle generation.

Britain used to be the spiritual home of the notion of fair play. An idea that said if you were winning by foul means, then you weren't really winning at all. Given that in your heart of hearts you would always know you had cheated and would therefore not really enjoy the true meaning of success.

How things have changed, these ideas now sound parochial and out of date. I personally feel that although Britain’s Imperial past casts a shadow over this ideal, it is still worth incorporating within my value system since I have found integrity to be the most consistent measure of a persons true success.