Apparantly you need a tv license to have a computer and mobile phone.

I was told by a security firm that i couldn't use a TV for my CCTV cameras regardless of if it had an aerial etc. They said that's the reason dedicated CCTV monitors are/were more expenive than TVs even though they are basically the same thing with less capability.

i thought the tv was ok as long as it could be PROVED it DOESNT have anything to give it a signal?

so if theres no boxes, coaxial cable or ariel?

Agreed. The activity that's being licenced is 'receiving a tv signal', you are not licencing the ability to receive a signal.

In practice though, if you had a working tv with and ariel plugged in, but swore you werent using it, no court would believe you. So you need to go as far as you can to show you arent recieving, by removing cables etc. Pcs make this more difficult as its the same set up.

As always, its not really whether you are or are not committing an offense, its whether a court would convict you of it.

Why do some people think think they are different to the rest of us,always finding sneaky ways of getting out of paying the licence fee as though they are special.pay for it like the rest of us,

Why do some people think think they are different to the rest of us,always finding sneaky ways of getting out of paying the licence fee as though they are special.pay for it like the rest of us,

Read the thread again slowly.

Then re-read your post :loopy:

I stand with what i said thank you.:loopy:

yes you need one if your mobile can receive TV via streams. Same for the PC for live Iplayer and sky player etc.

You need one too if your computer has a TV card in it. It's about having equipment that can receive it even if you choose to or not.

Its not about being sneaky.....its about rules and regulations, and what can and cant be done.....

Then I'll explain it to you.

No-one is asking or suggesting or encouraging anyone to break the law by avoiding the TV licence.

We're discussing whether you need a licence if you genuinely do not watch TV (ie you only watch DVDs). In this case you do not need a licence, but you need to ensure you get rid of ariels, cables etc, so that you do not incorrectly get prosecuted for watching TV when you genuinely did not.

Your comment assumes people are unfairly trying to avoid paying.

As i said i stand by my comment.:roll:

yes you need one if your mobile can receive TV via streams. Same for the PC for live Iplayer and sky player etc.

You need one too if your computer has a TV card in it. It's about having equipment that can receive it even if you choose to or not.

Im pretty sure this isnt true. But am happy to be corrected. I did a bit of research when I got all the standard letters when I didnt have a tv.

In my opinion, you are talking about evidence that a court is likely to convict on. ie if you have TV streaming software on you pc, or a tv card, then it is highly likely you are watching tv - and you're likely to be convicted, even if you're not.

Even if a court would convict you, it doesnt change the principle of whether you need a tv licence to own a smart phone that you genuinely do not watch tv on. I still say you dont. It is a licence to receive signals, not a licence to have the ability to receive.

As i said i stand by my comment.:roll:

So you think I need a tv licence if I dont watch tv?

just got my renewal notice for my tv license and apparently you still need 1 if you havent got a tv ..if you are using a computer and some mobile phones possibly i pad or something.oh and some games consoles.how stupid is that..not that if affects me as i will be renewing mine.:)

You dont need a to license full stop. TV detector vans are a myth and if you know what to say they arent even allowed to come to your house.

Its what i like to call a 'stupid tax':hihi: