Old industrial bits of Sheffield.

I love exploring old industrial areas. I'm looking for bits of the city that give a good indication of how things used to be pre-WWII and that pesky Luftwaffe. So i'm looking fir streets with old works and the like, that haven't been snapped up & converted to apartments. Like John Street which I find fantastic.

Any tips?

Also, anyone else in to similar & like to explore together? Reply if so!

the area around paradise square is quite old and most of the surviving building are relatively unaltered

The Portland Works, just round the corner from John St, is really interesting. Went on a guided tour on their open day recently. There's lots of the original industrial features and still some metal workers working there, as well as artists studios.They've got another open day in march. Details on their website: http://www.portlandworks.co.uk/

If you can get into the globe works on Alma street I think you will find that very interesting.At one time it was a Sheffield workhouse and also a place where they put some of the bodies after the Sheffield flood.In the offices upstairs are still the original cast iron girders and posts.

Take a walk round kelham island. Many places are converted now but Cornish Place and Brooklyn Works are still retaining some industrial charm. The Myba Tyzack building on green lane is interesting but best of all is the George Barnsley and Son Building on Green lane

Check out the tour of the George Barnsley Building

George Barnsley and Sons Ltd. Cornish Works - Sheffield

the same guy has some awesome pictures of inside but I can no longer find them. I will link if I can as they are really cool, like really old newspapers on work benches and stuff

Edited by Smack Jack

I love exploring old industrial areas. I'm looking for bits of the city that give a good indication of how things used to be pre-WWII and that pesky Luftwaffe. So i'm looking fir streets with old works and the like, that haven't been snapped up & converted to apartments. Like John Street which I find fantastic.

Any tips?

Also, anyone else in to similar & like to explore together? Reply if so!

I really love the old industrial parts of Sheffield too and have taken loads of exterior photos of them over the past couple of years.

I would say that the S3 area (Kelham Island, Neepsend, West Bar) definitely has the biggest and best selection of old industrial buildings. Also try around S2 (Sidney Street, Mary Street parts) as there are some good ones around there.

Sh2006.

Edited by Sheff2006

If you can get into the globe works on Alma street I think you will find that very interesting.At one time it was a Sheffield workhouse and also a place where they put some of the bodies after the Sheffield flood.In the offices upstairs are still the original cast iron girders and posts.

Globe Works is interesting. I used to work there, spent many a late night kicking about that place. Whats your source for bodies being stored there from the flood. I am interested to know thats all?

I've a very keen interest in Urban Exploration, here are a few of my photos from Cornish works when I visited in August. It's a lovely site and also full of historical goodness... There's also Wharnecliffe works almost next door, in fact the entire Kelham island area is packed full of little gems.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53547

Have a look around on 28DL, in fact, a search will reveal the wealth of sites in and around Sheffield...