How do i change my secure wireless code

tia1803

I didnt say they all use the same, I said all Belkins use the same and all netgears use the same, not belkin and netgear use the same.

Usernames and passwords are what stops people changing settings, but 90% of people don't change them from their defaults, which are easily obtainable as spooky3 pointed out.

Usernames and passwords are what stops people changing settings, but 90% of people don't change them from their defaults, which are easily obtainable as spooky3 pointed out.

Well i, and probably millions more were under the misguided illusion that you could only get to the config page by cable only. You learn summat new everyday.

If it's a Netgear ADSL modem/firewall router you probably would need to have it wired as mine has a 'Wireless Setup List' - You need to provide the MAC addresses of the clients to 'allow access' to the router - you're not going to be able to do that from scratch.

swarfendor43

PS sorry for not reading post correctly on Belkin and Netgear ip's.

If it's a Netgear ADSL modem/firewall router you probably would need to have it wired as mine has a 'Wireless Setup List' - You need to provide the MAC addresses of the clients to 'allow access' to the router - you're not going to be able to do that from scratch.

swarfendor43

PS sorry for not reading post correctly on Belkin and Netgear ip's.

But every time you send a packet it will have your MAC in plaintext, which I can grab and then use to spoof... It's only a very very slight hindrance, not security!

I'm not an expert but I believe you need to physically connect the wireless router to the pc via a network cable. If someone would like to correct me please do.

You dont need a disc OR a cable.

Just type in the IP address of your router and enter the settings from there.

eg for Sky go to

Username : admin

Password: sky

No they don't all use the same.

Belkin = 192.168.2.1

User = admin

Password = Not sure - could be admin if not altered from default.

The Belkin router we use doesn't even require a username, simply a password.

but 90% of people don't change them from their defaults,.

It's the first thing I do when setting up networks. Then MAC filtering, then set the router to only allow access to the router settings from a box that the router has assigned an IP to (only access settings from within the local network).