Your favorite pub as a teenager ??

Back in the late 1960's early 70's my friends and I used to go to THE BUCCANEER on Leopold Street.It was the time of hot pants and green velvet jackets and that funny lighting that showed up the white dandruff on peoples clothes!! YuCCk!!

Edited by twragg
wrong date

Sportsman lodge moor,1973-75,rising sun,nethergreen same time.Albert,Minerva,Penthouse and Marquis of granby,last two not really pubs but drinking haunts just the same.

Red Lion at the back of the City Hall. 1980. Thursday and Sunday eveningd were Punk Night. Great times

Meet in the Golden Ball, then the tour of West Street.The Red Lion,Saddle,West Street,Hallamshire and The Raven.This was back in 1963-65.

The Marples, Old Blue Bell, the Stonehouse and the Museum :D

The old blue bell was known as the "play school" or the Nursery, because so many of us under-age drinkers used to use it.

I'm teetotal now.

Mailcoach....Rotherham. I was 18 and having my first proper drink....well, Babycham anyway.:banana:

Tankard and griffin at ecclesfield. I used to go in both most nights after i had left school and started work in 1974 when i was 16, and whitbread Trophy was 12 pence a pint. oh for a time machine.

which one was tankard then? i remember the griffin

Sportsman lodge moor,1973-75,rising sun,nethergreen same time.Albert,Minerva,Penthouse and Marquis of granby,last two not really pubs but drinking haunts just the same.

You must have been at the same Donkey Derby discos as me then! Thatt's where I first met the girl who would,seven years later,become Mrs Shanes Teeth!:love:

which one was tankard then? i remember the griffin

Hi fastjan, most people now call it The stocks, but to some of us it will

always be the tankard. different era, different memory's i suppose. If you stand outdide the griffin The white bear is/was straight across and the tankard is over to the left.

Edited by sycamore66j

Meet in the Golden Ball, then the tour of West Street.The Red Lion,Saddle,West Street,Hallamshire and The Raven.This was back in 1963-65.

Remember Lol behind the bar. My boyfriend used to tell me they called him Lol

because he had to lol .. onto the bar because he had a wooden leg.

I found out later that this was all true, they did call him Lol and he did have a wooden leg.

Do you remember the gym they had upstairs, weight lifting etc.

Why are so many posters going on about these suburban pubs, when there were so many little gems in the city centre e.g. The Barleycorn, The Sportsman, Nell 's Bar, The Albert, The Old Blue Bell, The Minerva.........and many, many others........all centres of culture and platonic friendships ! Many 's the night I 've spent in the Old Blue Bell, with half a shandy, discussing Wittgenstein or Western Philosphy.

My favourite though was ' The Old Blue Bell '. It was frequented by all and sundry------especially sundry ! I once took my elderly mother in from about 11 a.m -11 . 30 and she said it was " a nice place ". I 'm glad she didn 't see it at 2.30 p.m. though ! Happy Days ! [ Purple Hearts or ' Blues ' about 5 old pence each ! ------everybody was happy ! ]

I remember the Minerva and the Albert but I'm trying to recall the pub where Joe Cocker used to sing before he became famous, was it the Minerva?