The People Who Create Conspiracy Theories - Your Opinion?

People who propagate conspiracy theories are a motley crew of idiots, nutters, charlatans, 5th columnists and people who wish to destabalise our society.

I guess most conspiracy theorists are muddle headed loonies. But a few of them will be clear thinking people with malign intent who seek to undermine our way of life. They do this by spreading plausible sounding ‘theories’ and urban myths - like saying that President Bush and Osama Bin Laden concocted the 9/11 plot over a hot dog in a dinner on Route 66. They’ll then back this up by saying that it must be true because the record shows President Bush didn’t take his dog for a walk as normal on the morning of Aug 12th. So, what was he doing if not secretly visiting with Osama Bin Laden, eh?

The moon ladings – they never happened. It was a plot by the oil companies. The evidence is conclusive.

Australia – it doesn’t exist. All those people who say they’ve been there are in the pay of the CIA.

Elvis is alive and well. In fact he’s till doing gigs at a secret Nazi base set up by JFK in Antarctica. The proof is on You Tube.

Pretty soon anything and everything is a conspiracy. Nothing is real.

The public is vulnerable to this ****, most of them don’t know much about anything except for their job and their family. If you repeat something enough people come to believe it. You can see how spreading these nutty theories might be useful to those who wish our society ill.

Jim Beam

People who propagate conspiracy theories are a motley crew of idiots, nutters, charlatans, 5th columnists and people who wish to destabalise our society.

I guess most conspiracy theorists are muddle headed loonies. But a few of them will be clear thinking people with malign intent who seek to undermine our way of life. They do this by spreading plausible sounding ‘theories’ and urban myths - like saying that President Bush and Osama Bin Laden concocted the 9/11 plot over a hot dog in a dinner on Route 66. They’ll then back this up by saying that it must be true because the record shows President Bush didn’t take his dog for a walk as normal on the morning of Aug 12th. So, what was he doing if not secretly visiting with Osama Bin Laden, eh?

The moon ladings – they never happened. It was a plot by the oil companies. The evidence is conclusive.

Australia – it doesn’t exist. All those people who say they’ve been there are in the pay of the CIA.

Elvis is alive and well. In fact he’s till doing gigs at a secret Nazi base set up by JFK in Antarctica. The proof is on You Tube.

Pretty soon anything and everything is a conspiracy. Nothing is real.

The public is vulnerable to this ****, most of them don’t know much about anything except for their job and their family. If you repeat something enough people come to believe it. You can see how spreading these nutty theories might be useful to those who wish our society ill.

Jim Beam

Reported, you should sit yourself down and study the evidence, What poo poo you contentions are, you should try and not adopt the populist view and make up your own mind.. the thoughts you convey are definitely not your own.

Reasons I love the Conspiracy Theorists....

- it was a cracking film with Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts, and he was right, wasn't he?

- putting blind trust in the media and statements made by the government is foolish

- they can't always be wrong on everything, it's impossible, surely?

- their questionning spirit and the lengths they go to

- some are very entertaining also, as well as thought-provoking

At least 90% of all these "conspiracy theories" could be discounted immediately if only people were taught how to think critically in schools; but they are not. Most people can't recognise a logical argument, or spot the flaws in an illogical one.

Most of these theories fail at the first hurdle, because they're unfalsifiable and thus are crank theories by definition.

look into this bloke - michael ruppert - genuinely smart, non-flakey...conspiracies can and do happen. Thats not a theory.

Edited by johnbradley

Again you use phrases that no-one is saying.

is this the level of debate (telling lies)?

What are you talking about? What do you man by again?

What I said there is totally uncontroversial unless you are now saying that the 911 theory is not that Bush was behind their destruction?

Conspiracy:

Pearl Harbor: LIKELY

Princess Diana: LIKELY

Moon landings: LIKELY

Lockerbie (Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi): ABSOLUTELY

IRAQ WMD'S: ABSOLUTELY

TWIN TOWERS: ABSOLUTELY

Moon landings, what a joke. In 41 years no one has come forward from the inside to blow the whistle. The KGB at the time would have been desperate to prove them wrong but never did. Because the flag fluttered does not make it a conspiracy. A simple channel 5 documentary 5 years ago shattered every fallacy posing as evidence on this.

Twin Towers, no chance. US intelligence knowing something big was going to happen does not mean they knew exactly what was going to happen and allowed it or manufactured it. Pure madness.

I am open minded, someone show me a link to the best site regarding 911. Have any reputable scientists or investigative journalists come forward to back up the conspiracy theories or is it still the usual attic geeks?

I saw that too,did you see when they phoned the british embassy because they were being followed and frightened.They were told "the bilderberg group is way out of our league,there's nothing we can do".

By the embassy :huh:

They(embassy) later phone back and say they phoned the hotel but they were not being followed,they must've been imagining it.:suspect:

My response to Bilderberg stuff is so what? All sorts of powerful organisations that are international meet in secret. Inevitably they don't want sniffers lurking around and inevitably an embassy is not going to be able to block the activities of a multinational organisation. The group rightly or wrongly believe they have a right to meet in secret without interference. Do the public have a right to know the activities of the group and see its minutes?

As for your point about being previously anti Muslim, I don't want to get personal but that shows you were open to one big but poor quality point of view. If you did not distinguish between Muslims and unrepresentative fanatics then your thinking was flawed anyway. It does not follow that if you reject that view then conspiracy theories become true. If Loose Change is the higpoint of 911 conspiracy theories then it's dead anyway.

Reasons I love the Conspiracy Theorists....

- their questionning spirit and the lengths they go to

Searching YouTube then accepting whatever is found as gospel truth is hardly putting a lot of effort in.

Searching YouTube then accepting whatever is found as gospel truth is hardly putting a lot of effort in.

Sorry, I thought the thread was about the actual people who 'created'/'unveiled' the conspiracies and made the videos, not the ones who merely watched them and then subscribed to the same viewpoint.

The main proponents of the 9/11 conspiracy theories in the USA are not Muslims. The main proponents of conspiracy theories on SF certainly don't appear to be Muslims.

Many people will defend their community / faith when we get the sweeping generalisations that we get on here - like all muslims support terrorism or all council house tenants are scroungers.

Perhaps, but some Muslims are happy to pick it up and run with it.

And that, right there, just serves to prove my point about using the conspiracy theorist label as a convenient way of dismissing any alternative viewpoint to make yourself look better. Well done.