Puppies adopted from R S P C A end of last year

we are trying to contact anyone who adopted puppies from the R S P C A at the end of last year, these were all named after vegetables, cabbage turnip , pepper etc.They are now being recalled for assessment after one was returned recently because it was too boistrous and one of the staff recognised some "pitbull characteristics".This otherwise healthy dog has now been put down. We are distraught about this and face having our dog assessed and possibly taken to kennels until it can be dealt with by the court. these are lovely dogs and have not done anything wrong. they were purchased in good faith as cross american bulldog/staffi.. Is this legal? please get in touch, thank you.

You will have to go through your rehoming contract in detail.

I know they have clauses to repossess if the new owner fails to meet terms of care, but not sure if there are any to cover this situation.

If the dogs do have enough pitbull characteristics to meet requirements under the Dangerous Dogs Acts, it would be illegal for you to possess the dog and would have been illegal for the RSPCA to have sold/exchanged the dog.

Edited by cgksheff

if it has pb characteristics, won't the DD laws come into force to have it spayed/ neutered and Muzzled? Is it always automatic destruction?

(I can sort of see the reasoning to have it destroyed if it's aggressive:- a friend is very distressed as she had to have her Staffy put down a couple of weeks ago, after it went for her - by reason of increasing / escalating aggression, but this is the first staff I have known in my circle where this has had to be done to a staffy.)

I thought it was not illegal to own a PB, just illegal to have an un-muzzled, un neutered one? (and of course, to breed them)

I remember these pups cause I was looking at the one called Mash!!! what a shame. they were def advertised as american bull x staff.. there were also some post's on here suggesting they were mastif x..what a shame that oe had to be pts..

You will have to go through your rehoming contract in detail.

I know they have clauses to repossess if the new owner fails to meet terms of care, but not sure if there are any to cover this situation.

If the dogs do have enough pitbull characteristics to meet requirements under the Dangerous Dogs Acts, it would be illegal for you to possess the dog and would have been illegal for the RSPCA to have sold/exchanged the dog.

Oh that is so sad :( A lot of people comment on our dog's 'pedigree' but as he was fully grown and from the RSPCA and had been there 4 months plus, so plently of time for them to make a decision over his breed so I'm sure we are ok....makes you think though.

Sounds like the local RSPCA's have rehomed 'pitt types' over the last few years and maybe not being as tight as they should be at identifying breeds. Sounds a bit like a back covering excerise to me which is very sad for the owners. It is illegal to own or rehome a pitt type dog so them and the owner could possibly be in trouble.

That's really sad, you must be so worried.I remember seeing those pups & thinking how lovely they were.

Did they not go into the RSPCA with the mother then? Or is it the father they are thinking was a pit?

Fancy being able to "re-call" a dog. It's like they are being classed as a faulty toy or something. Horrible.

non as far as i know, they are double checking with the owners, but from what i gather you can breed any dogs say a labrador and a poodle and if the pups have "characteristics" that means not genetic they can be classed as a "pit bull type" how stupid is that!.

ballyduff - we are owners of one of the pups and received the call yeaterday from the RSPCA. I am so upset and shaking as i'm typing this. Our dog is so lovely and soft I don't know what i'll do if he gets taken off us.

hi it is my daughter who owns the dog she is distraught and getting legal advice send me your no privately or i will send mine i think it disgraceful, and the owners should get together even though i do not think its what th rspca wants:rant::rant:

I'm not sure how to send my number through IM could you send me a private message please

hi it is my daughter who owns the dog she is distraught and getting legal advice send me your no privately or i will send mine i think it disgraceful, and the owners should get together even though i do not think its what th rspca wants:rant::rant:

I think its disgraceful as well. I got my pup in good faith and can't face the thought of being parted from him. He is such a softie and hasn't an ounce of agression - our cat rules him.

I have managed to send you a PM please get in touch.

I believe this isn't as uncommon as people think. I've come across a few people who have rehomed 'staffy crosses' from rescues - and the pound - only to discover they have 'pit bull characteristics'.

A friend of mine across the country is currently in turmoil after he adopted a dog from the local pound a good while ago now and during a consultation with the vet recently, he was told that the dog fitted the description to be 'of type' and now he just doesn't know what to do. The dog hasn't been recalled but my friend doesn't know whether to speak up and get the dog registered, try to hide the dog or what.

I think it's shocking - not only that these dogs are rehomed only to be potentially taken away again but just the whole ridiculous BSL.

Good luck to you both with your pups, I truly hope it comes to nothing. Disgusting.