Firefighters Strike Again

Should firefighters strike again?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should firefighters strike again?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

If the talk of another fire strike goes through again, I was wondering will there be enough Army personnel to man the stations with a large volume of them been tied up in Iraq.

A few questions:

Are the firemen/woman wages pro-rata, based on the number of days they work or is it a fixed annual wage?

What are the standard number of working days?

is it 4 days on/ 4 days off?

My sympatheis were NOT with the fire fighters during their strike ...

On more than one occasion I have seen a full blown fire-engine driving slowly down / parked on Carver street ... with the firemen just hanging out and chatting up girls (whilst holding up traffic etc).

I think it's really great that we pay them to drive around town cruising for chicks on a friday / saturday evening ...

Originally posted by John

A few questions:

Are the firemen/woman wages pro-rata, based on the number of days they work or is it a fixed annual wage?

What are the standard number of working days?

is it 4 days on/ 4 days off?

It is a fixed annual salary.

They work 2 days 2 nights together and then get 4 days off.

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Firefighters chose the career they're in. They get nearly £10,000 a year more than me in my day job. I'd gladly swap!

If they don't like the pay... get another job!

O.K then lets see how you would deal with the horrific sights and danger of personal injury. how many badly burned chidren could you deal with removing from house fires before you were a qwivering wreck? It takes a special kind of person to put there life on the line every shift and they deserve much more respect than they get.. My father badley injured himself attending a call and I cant begin to go in to how it felt waiting to find out how he was . he is my hero. and he crippled himself for what.. a crummy wage and people like you??

Bloody hell. A Labour government in power and we can barely go a day without Unions flexing their muscles.

Guest poppins

My husband is a retired Firefighter in the States, 36 years on the Dept, thepay is good now, but back then it wasn't, no one wanted to do the job,now you have to take a test(not an easy one either) he gets a good pension now which seems to annoy a lot of people, all of who had the same chance to join the FD, he dosen't get Soc Security, that varies in different towns, don't know how that is in the UK.

Weekend and Holidays ment nothing in our house for years, he was always either working or on call, all part of the job, that bothered no one, but his pension did, the overtime was great, still is.

Also now they are first responders to every thing, they have to have EMT training,and an education along with it.

Going on Strike ? not too sure how I feel about that, do they have a union ? ours does, but you don't have to join.

The air traffic controllers went on strike few years back, look what happend to them !

Originally posted by t020

Bloody hell. A Labour government in power and we can barely go a day without Unions flexing their muscles.

or the government too, it seems.

Guest poppins

JAMIE

If you see your firefighters just HANGING AROUND as you

say, it should please you to know your house is not on fire, and no one elses is.

Why do people need to see a fireman risking his life to earn his pay ? It might interest you to know Jamie, fire fighhters are just normal people too, only difference is they work harder then most people sitting at a computer all day long.

PS JAMIE, It might shock you also to know that fire fighters also like girls !