Rant Of The Day !

Perhaps, when we all feel at the end of our tether, we can use this thread to have a rant and release some issues.

Let me start ... oh please do !!

Yesterday I had to go into town to get some bread, but those of you who use crutches know that it's virtually impossible to shop with no hands, so I just took the one, which meant all my weight was leaning on that. I gathered the essential bread and a bottle of Pop for me, and went outside, where there were quite a few people queuing for the "hole in the wall" .. I proceeded to put my crutch on some chips that had obviously been dropped.

Because all my weight was on the crutch you can imagine it ... The bread survived, mostly .. and the bottle (luckily was plastic) rolled out into the road under a car. At this point I was on the floor, in a load of pain, but so embarrased that I didn't want to show it.

People were really nice and ran to help me up ... they even suggested calling the ambulance men over (they were parked across the road dealing with something else) .. THE HORROR ! It took me all my strength to get back to the car .. but I did it.

I had to keep stopping as each time I put my foot on the clutch the pain shot down my leg .. you know the feeling!

I got home .. and up to bed. Took a little Oramorph as I am on Taginact (12 hour release) and had already had two earlier in the day .. this made me violently sick. But hey, I didnt moan .. much ..

My husband got home and seemed so frustrated at my being accident prone. This morning he suggested 1. I get lessons on walking with the crutches and 2. If it's no better tomorrow I should see a Doctor.

GRRRRRR ....

Bed Rest ... Well that's what the Doctor recommended when I spoke to him a few minutes ago.. but I could have told you that myself without having to call him. Plus Diazepam .. which I was unable to take yesterday because of the vomiting.

My physio showed me how to use the crutches and watched me till he was happy to send me away with them. I have had three accidents with them. Firstly when that girl caught her foot in my crutch from behind me (sadly I don't have eyes in my rear and didn't see her coming) and kicked the crutch from under me. Same thing happened again .. but luckily I didnt fall. Saturday I had to stop because the burning pain was getting too much and a few seconds stillness eases it ... the lady behind me nearly had me in her pushchair. An accident! I shouldn't have stopped suddenly, but she should have been aware rather than looking at something the other side of her. If I had ended up in that child's pushchair, would that be an accident or did I do it deliberately because I obviously have eyes in the back of my head.

I wish my OH could stand in my shoes for a few days ..

I have now got to get to the Post Office to post a record he is selling. It's IMPERATIVE that I do so today as he has got 100% record on DIscogs for sending things out in time.

Hmm .. How can I do that with two crutches? Oh .. heck, I will either have to use one, or try and drive the car.

Rant over...

Hi Saffy

Sorry to hear you've had a bit of a nightmare yesterday - I hope you feel slightly better today!

I don't know anything re your condition or how appropriate it would be for you, but if you're not feeling too safe on the crutches have you considered looking for a wheeled walker with brakes? I've started looking around for one for my father in law who has lots of trouble with his spine. I've seen ones with baskets and bags as well, which I think would be great. I think I'd feel a lot safer with something like that than crutches, and chances will be less of someone tripping you up!

Anyway, I realise this is a bit random and apologies if you've no use of this information, I just thought I'd mention it seeing as I've been looking for something along those lines.

I hope you managed to get to the post office ok today - all the best and chin up!

Oh Saffy, do I feel for you!

I've got no positive suggestions for you, just some sympathy and warm wishes that not all days are as bad as yesterday.

Having said that, I was supposed to be doing all sorts of stuff today and have instead spent the day in my recliner without even getting dressed properly. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to walk a little better.

BJan .. my family would love to see me with one of those ! *grin*

Medusa .. it's nice to have somewhere to rant .. hope other people can make use of this thread too ! We all need to let it go sometimes, especially when your family are so fed up of hearing it.

Hey .. good news .. well .. pulled all the ligamens in my right ankle .. eeee .. it never rains and all that !

Hey - so sorry about your problems. Hope your ligaments heal quickly (Hugs)

Here's my rant, its not aimed at anything specific, just me feeling crud again.

I haven't had a full nights sleep innearly 4 months, I don't know why I presume its because of the pain in my arm. I'm taking regular painkillers but its just not working in the night. I'm so tired I feel sick all the time, have a headache most of the day and am so irritable I'm having trouble controling my temper. I'm fed up of going back and forth to the Drs for them to fob me off and tell me they can only treat one issue at a time.... as if my illness's can queue up!? I've seen several different Drs, no one seems to care.

I feel like its now getting to the point where I am going to asktogo back onto my anti depressants, something I have been without now for 5 years, I feel like I have failed :( Everything I have tried to achieve since I left school has jst about been scuppered by the varying levels of unexplained pain I have been in, some days I wonder if its even worth trying anymore :cry:

Hiya Peaches. So sorry you're feeling so lousy. I always think pain is much worse (or feels that way) at night. I reckon you should be taking your painkillers maybe on a 24 hour basis, rather than all through the day with the last dose maybe at bedtime. I find that keeping pain relief up to a level works for me.

Your doc doesn't sound as if he gives you much support either. Is there a more sympathetic doc at your clinic that you could talk to.

Wishing you all the best for the future, and hope you soon feel better.

It took me 12 years constant nagging to get a diagnosis of Coeliacs from that surgery... I don't hold out much help for the other problems

Ach Peaches ... I feel for you. (hug) Pain killers didn't work for me at night but my Doctor put me on Amytryptilline and it really helped. The only trouble is, I get into a deep sleep and freeze into position .. *chuckle*

Your Doc sounds like he needs to walk in your shoes for a day or so .. you must feel like you're talking to a brick wall. It's easy to say find another Doctor when you've been with them for so long and they know your medical history.

Keep your chin up .. and rant away ..

I'll no doubt be back on this thread in a few days. :)

Hi Peaches - so sorry for you love (hugs). Your doctor sounds like a right pain. Have to say I'm lucky with my surgery, but have been in your position in the past and had a right old rant, like you.

Will be on & off the forum so feel free to rant away.

Thanks for all your posts, I signed up to an open university course last night to try and focus on the future, see if I can gain a qualification even if I might not be able to use it.

I see the surgeon tomorrow at 8.30 ( :shock: ) so hopefully a few more answers

Let us know how things go Peaches! What course are you going at the Open University?