Banks - overdraft charges rip off

I have just had a letter from my bank telling me about overdraft charges.

In the whole of my working life I have been overdrawn twice. You think fair enough but I have been working over 20 years and that is not bad going. Anyway they are now going to start charging £5 if you go overdrawn plus interest on top:mad:

I thought we owed most of the banks, how the hell can they do this.:huh:

What is the point, its about time something was done about this.

I assumed that the banks were trying to help us. Your telling me they are doing this to help other customers, I dont think so, it is just another scam to line their own dam pockets.:mad::mad:

I think its fair enough, they tell you the charges if it happens. All we have to do is make sure it doesn't happen. Surely we are quite capable of managing our finances and if we don't want to incur the charges its really simple don't go over drawn!!

In the whole of my working life I have been overdrawn twice. You think fair enough but I have been working over 20 years and that is not bad going. Anyway they are now going to start charging £5 if you go overdrawn plus interest on top:mad:

I assumed that the banks were trying to help us. Your telling me they are doing this to help other customers, I dont think so, it is just another scam to line their own dam pockets.:mad::mad:

i not going say the name of the bank but i got charged £42 for a 2 pence overdraft. who is the robbers there.??

i have been with Barclays bank for over 20 years. 6 months due to an error with a standing order which was taken out 4 times instead of 1 my account went overdrawn, but they wrote to me and said because this was the first time it had happened they would not charge me anything. Which I really appreciated as it was really my fault.

i not going say the name of the bank but i got charged £42 for a 2 pence overdraft. who is the robbers there.??

If they charge you this then they must have put it in writing to you in the first place. if they haven't done so then you are allowed to take them to court for it, check the conditions of your account

So you've had 20 years of banking for free, with the facility provided by the bank without charge, and you are complaining when they charge you money if you cost them more?

So you've had 20 years of banking for free, with the facility provided by the bank without charge, and you are complaining when they charge you money if you cost them more?

But for each of those 20 years the bank has had the benefit of being able to speculate on the money markets using his deposited money. He hasn't charged the bank for that long term interest free loan.

Why should it trouble you, if you stick to your pattern you'll only go over drawn once a decade anyway.

The banks are businesses, they aren't trying to help anyone but themselves, and helping themselves to a profit is exactly what they are supposed to do.