Missing 2 dogs mansell school area

as i understand that its a really horrible situation you are in, going to the kennels and pleading to get the dogs back will not really get you any where, the kennels staf have no authoritiy to change the fee's.(they get tons of abuse verbal and pysical,they are there to care for the dogs but end up gettting all the aggression and abuse....it also is hard for them with genuine people like yourself as they understand how upsetting it may be)

i would say the best thing would be is to contact the managment of that department.

good luck x

I am glad your dogs are ok and sorry you are going to have to pay so much to get them back, seeing as they had only just arrived. However, whilst at work yesterday, and at least once a week, do we have people bringing dogs in that they have found and asking us to scan for a chip. Usually no chip often if there is a chip the owners have not updated their details, but occasionally a little tag that costs 4-5 quid with a phone number on is a miracle. Please everyone just put your phone number on the collar and problems like this could be avoided. Any dog can run off if gates are left open or something spooks them, doesn't make you a bad owner but we need to keep things up to date. I love it when I can just hand a wagging grateful dog back to it's owner

Do you still need to pay to get the dog back if the dog is chipped with upto date correct details?

Thanks everyone for the support. Unfortunately I will not be getting my dogs back as I simply cannot afford to pay these extortionate charges that spring street expect me to pay (now at over £200.00) my kids and I are devastated I cannot understand how they can justify this? In my eyes they are outright thieves they have to all intents and purposes held my dogs to ransom I have checked every avenue I can think off and there is no way to dispute this. So my children and I have lost out on two fantastic companions and family members the dogs have lost out on a happy loving home and the kennel has added another two animals to the long list of pets already looking for homes I hope they feel proud of themselves. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did there job there no better than thieves and con men. It makes me wonder how many other people have been treated this way I think its an absolute disgrace.

WHAT??????

This is horrific! Did you speak to the management? Surely they could do something to help you. I understand they need to cover some expenses but honestly!!

If you are outside the days they keep them what about going straight down to adopt them directly from Spring Street? Would that be cheaper? Last I heard it was £75 to adopt a dog from them so that would be £150 not the £200 they want you to pay. Is it worth doing that? I hope you come up with something.

trying to find a way to dispute it but my fear is they will be rehomed before I can do anything about it I can't afford to readopt and there is no guarantee I would get them back anyway someone else may take them before I get through the adoption process. I have a few people looking into this to see how to sort it but everyone I have spoke to advised that sheffield council enforce these charges and they will not budge I am at a loss I mean i know its not the same thing but if you lost your phone on the bus you wouldn't expect first to force you to pay £200.00 to get it back so how can they justify doing this for a living animal?

Can anyone at all lend you the money. There is no adoption process. You go down to Spring Street, you see the dog you want pay your money and take it home. If someone can lend it you then you can get them back today before they go to a new home or out to another rescue or to be frank worse.

Have you rung Regulatory Services (or whoever it is the pound comes under) and spoke to them? You need to do this, its no good speaking to other people you need to speak to someone in authority yourself at the council. They are the ones who make the decisions. The girls who work down there are fab but they are not i charge. Ring the powers that be straight away and speak to them, waiting for other people to find info out for you is no good, your dogs really will be gone.

How sad. I feel so sorry for you.

Surely they could come up with something? Like you pay £20 a week?

How long is left until they can be adopted?

Have you got any family that would adopt them?

I really do hope you get these 2 back. It's so unfair putting people and the dogs through this when you clearly love them.

Sorry to hear this. Like others have said - can you borrow the money? Apply for a credit card? Adopting rather than reclaiming them would be the cheapest way.

Try not to be too upset/angry with the kennel staff - it really isn't their fault. The staff you meet down at the kennels are there purely to take care of the dogs - the fees are nothing to do with them, and they can't do anything about it themselves. They get a lot of abuse from the public even though it's not their fault. Their job is hard enough seeing and dealing with the state of the abused and abandoned dogs that come through the door every day. And they definitely don't make any profit from the fees. You should see the size of the vet bills alone that they get every month :shocked:

The most disgraceful part of this is that once upon a time you could pay £12 per year to register your dog in Sheffield (nothing to do with a dog licence), and your dog would be returned to you without extortionate charges

Now that chipping makes the whole process quicker and easier, they've abolished that :mad:

Like I said, if the dog owners of Sheffield chose to tackle this, we'd have a voice and a valid cause, but nobody cares 'til it happens to them

to the op - check how they arrived in kennels, and re-read my previous post. If they were dropped off by a member of the pubic and not collected by the warden, you're being over charged

btw - the dog warden service is part of cleansing services - which says it all really :mad: It puts our lost pets firmly in the same category as the stuff in your wheelie bin :rant:

its not borrowing the money its being able to pay it back thats the problem I just can't afford to pay it back. I have been trying to get them back since this happened. I have either been told there's nothing I can do they are legally allowed to do it. or just been fobbed off. I have someone who maybe able to help more as they deal with rescue animals on a daily basis so may have some more insight on what can be done but from other peoples experiences and what I have been told by the council and the shelter staff etc... there is nothing that can or will be done unless I pay them money to return my animals. also its the principle of the way they go about it they can tell me I owe them £120.00 within ten mins of the dogs going through the doors of spring st they called me almost as soon as they had arrvied and stated they wanted £120.00 or no dogs plus and extra £10 per day until they put them up for adoption. I could understand the charges if they had had them days and weeks but I told them they would be dropped off before they even knew they were coming all they had to do was phone and I could have collected them. they wouldn't have had to feed them or put them in the kennel they didn't even pay the petrol costs it was a member of the public that dropped them off! I could have just picked them up but they want me to give them money to get MY dogs back. they basically have held them for ransom in my eyes and it should be illegal. I can understand it if they are genuine strays but they are my dogs and they know they are and are refusing to give them back.

I'm only going to say this one more time :rolleyes:

they can't charge you as much as that if they didn't collect them. I'm not typing it out again, read my earlier post where I've gone to the bother of providing the link and legal extract

Hi Strix,

Sorry did mean to reply your help is appreciated sorry if you think i hadn't seen it I am going to dispute this. Im at work at the moment so can't call them til I get back.