Grass snake at rother valley 2/8/10

brumate/brumation or spelt something like that.

hibernate means to into a deep sleep, but snakes generally stay awake, just dont move or eat, although still need access to water.

could be wrong with our native speice, but having kept snakes for 15 years, i used to brumate mine everywinter. no heat or light for 4 months, just water

Ah I see. It seems to be called hibernation on most of the sites/books I've read so I wasn't sure. I'll look into how native species hibernate :D

Ah I see. It seems to be called hibernation on most of the sites/books I've read so I wasn't sure. I'll look into how native species hibernate :D

i know reptile keepers, for much longer than me, who say hibernate to people just learning....keeps things simple.

i only kept american and african snakes usualy, so they brumated....i feel stupid that i know very little about native snakes, never seen one here, yet seen them in germany

i know reptile keepers, for much longer than me, who say hibernate to people just learning....keeps things simple.

i only kept american and african snakes usualy, so they brumated....i feel stupid that i know very little about native snakes, never seen one here, yet seen them in germany

Always time to learn :D Here's a start:

http://www.arkive.org/adder/vipera-berus/info.html

I've seen plenty of adders on Thorne Moors (other side of doncaster). And I've seen and caught plenty of viviparous lizards (I love lizards - they're so tiny!). They're the only ones I've seen - despite doing many reptile surveys!

Also have a mild obsession with hibernation, having studied hibernation in bats for my dissertation :D *dons me geek hat* ;)

Always time to learn :D Here's a start:

http://www.arkive.org/adder/vipera-berus/info.html

I've seen plenty of adders on Thorne Moors (other side of doncaster). And I've seen and caught plenty of viviparous lizards (I love lizards - they're so tiny!). They're the only ones I've seen - despite doing many reptile surveys!

Also have a mild obsession with hibernation, having studied hibernation in bats for my dissertation :D *dons me geek hat* ;)

ta, took a quick look and found 2 mistakes, one where it contradicts itself...

everyone has heard the terms nocturnal and diurnal....theres more than just those 2 lol

i like bats, last year i was showing off my german, to some real germans and i misssead the german word for bat (as you now, translates to flying mouse) and i said bombing mouse......they couldnt stop lauging for days

I've seen a grass snake hiding in a hole in a wall in Bexley, Kent when I lived there 20 years ago; here in Sheffield, I know there is an active newt colony near the canal at Meadowhall Tinsley and you often find them on the footpaths, so do tread carefully around there at this time of year!

No, the word is poisonous. If you ate one it would make you very ill.

Wikipedia tells me that grass snakes have "various predator species, including corvids, storks, owls and perhaps other birds of prey, foxes and the domestic cat." I'm guessing they aren't poisonous, but i'm no expert on snakes. I just have a very light interest in zoology.