Been told we'll have a long wait for a council house, don't think its fair

I Havent even bothered putting my self on the council house waiting list. At the moment im unemployed, disabled and finding it very hard to find a job.

I live with my girlfriend in a one bedroomed privatly rented flat with a shower room and where both wanting somewhere bigger because its so small its always cluttered and always a mess.

She is starting her Nursing course at Sheffield hallam Uni in january and i am a tattoo apprentice (non paid).

We looked at the possibility of council houses but basically the way i see it is because where both sensible and wanting to get respectful jobs for the future as we are both only 19 and 22 we are being peanlized.

Firstly because ive not got my girl friend up the duff and got a kid we get penalized for that,because im born and bread in this country im penalized for that and because im not a smackhead or spend my weekend locked in a pub where not a priority. So to hell with it we will both give up on becoming something better, smoke our daily drugs, have 3 kids in the space of 2 years and get bloody iranian passports!! Sad but true, this is modern society!!

The council actually have a stock of houses specially for disabled people, my mother in law lives in one because my late father in law was disabled and had a lift and shower room installed. When a disabled property becomes available the only people who can bid on them are disabled people, so if i were you i'd stop feeling sorry for yourself get your self down to the housing and register your interest in disabled properties...sitting and bitching about why you think everyone else gets a crack at a house before you, is useless unless you get out and do something about it. be pro active

this comment has been deleted

Edited by Mr Bloke

I Havent even bothered putting my self on the council house waiting list. At the moment im unemployed, disabled and finding it very hard to find a job.

I live with my girlfriend in a one bedroomed privatly rented flat with a shower room and where both wanting somewhere bigger because its so small its always cluttered and always a mess.

She is starting her Nursing course at Sheffield hallam Uni in january and i am a tattoo apprentice (non paid).

We looked at the possibility of council houses but basically the way i see it is because where both sensible and wanting to get respectful jobs for the future as we are both only 19 and 22 we are being peanlized.

Firstly because ive not got my girl friend up the duff and got a kid we get penalized for that,because im born and bread in this country im penalized for that and because im not a smackhead or spend my weekend locked in a pub where not a priority. So to hell with it we will both give up on becoming something better, smoke our daily drugs, have 3 kids in the space of 2 years and get bloody iranian passports!! Sad but true, this is modern society!!

A bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Get on the housing register, and at least you'll build up waiting time like everyone else! It might surprise you to know that people who aren't on drugs, don't drink to excess, don't have children and who were born in the UK are council tenants. In fact some of them post on here.

When my daughter did her nurse training she lived in a nurses' home. She had one room in a cruddy falling down building, then moved out and shared a house with other students. Its all most students can afford. As a qualified nurse she's moved up in her career and bought her own home - your girlfriend has that to look forward to. So put up with your small flat for now, its a lot more than some folk have!

That's interesting armchair dog! So your mother in law currently lives in accommodation specifically allocated for disabled people??
no it wasnt specifically allocated for disabled people it was a normal run of the mill council house when the inlaws moved there 40 years ago,when my father inlaw became disabled the house was converted for him and when the mother in law passes the house will only be offered to disabled people from then on.....so whats your point Mr Bloke

I Agree with a lot said, I know that the future is better and im not feeling sorry for myself and i refuse to apply for some disabled house in the fact that its kinda degrading for me as im still young and 21, refuse to walk with a stick or with an ankle support,even though its painful ( I realize this is foolish and immature but if i start applying for disability that and this it would probably kill me as before the accident i was massively into sports.) what can i say i have my dignity because all people do is stand and stare!! and i think ive done a lot of putting up with this small crummy flat,after all been here a while!! and yes i know i could finally get a council house if i wait it out, but who has forever?? and priority shouldnt even be considered, should be waiting list for all, so someone got them selfs up the duff? and so they should be a priority?? personally to me its b****cks. I said i wouldnt even bother with council houses, i didnt say i wanted one!! quite happy renting private to be honest just want somewhere bigger.

least some one can see my point thanks....my point is been on the list 7years with me and my partners points together .....but if she was on the waiting list on her own and packed her job in and she made a lie and said she was homeless bet they would offer us one then

I had my name on the list years ago but have bought with my wife now.

I was on the waiting list for 15 years before i was offered anything.

You didnt bid on the back then but it was still a long wait.

bleedin ell i made this thread just for people point of view not a slaggin match .....i think people who work hard should av a lil more priority on the council not because there girlfriend is up the duff or there homeless because i no lots of people who av said to council there homeless which they arnt and av got a house its a joke .. as for myself pregnancy was out of the blue its no excuse for a house were gonna take a one bedroom flat for now and in a year or two time we will av found somewhere more suitable

why shold they have more priority than those who need it?

there is limited supply this has to be prioritised with need. i will be forever grateful to my council flat for giving me freedom and independance

those who need it fair enough not those who claim they have no where to live blah blah thats b**l

people who are single parents and cant work because need to look after ther child give them a house all day long but for those who claim homeless when there not is a joke i have heard so many story from people who say there homeless to get a council house thats why there aint enough houses for people who need em if your homeless for a genuine reason ignore what i say i mean no offence

un reson ignor what i say

people who are single parents and cant work because need to look after ther child give them a house all day long but for those who claim homeless when there not is a joke i have heard so many story from people who say there homeless to get a council house thats why there aint enough houses for people who need em if your homeless for a genuine reason ignore what i say i mean no offence

un reson ignor what i say

personaly think its more likely to be the pensioners in a 3 bed house all alone that are the main reason for the not being enough social housing. theres approx twice as many under occupied propertys than there are over occupied. if there was some sort of insentive for pensions to downgrade the size of there home it would free up a hell of alot of homes for people like your self partner and one on the way. although i don't think they should be forced to down size i think there morals should be enough for them to do so. my neighbour is 84 in a 3 bed terraced house and refuses to move despite being severly disabled struggles with the stairs despite the stair lift and cant get in and out the house without support!

i was homeless several years back (genuinly) and ended up in a hostel having one small room containing a sink cupboard, fridge and mini cooker. a hospital style bed with plastic matress, a wardrobe, and a set of drawers then when my daughter was born a cot was added to very crampt and certainly not ideal. most homeless people do go directly to hostels and b&b's though not straight into houses i was in the hostel for 2 years (was 16 when went in there and couldn't sign a tenacy untill 18 so couldn't be housed or go private untill then)

we will be happy we a 1 bedroom for the time been but when the baby is due we are gonna need a 2 bedroom but until 1 bedroom will do