"No system tray detected on this system"

Just done an upgrade of my Fedora system 12->13. After which something is failing to init into the system tray properly with the "No system tray detected on this system" error.

The panel refuses to load at all and I can't find anything in the logs to give any indication what has failed.

I tried removing the various .gnome settings directories in my user's home area in the hope I could force gnome to reinitialise a broken conf file but that didn't fix it.

Any Linux users out there able to suggest where to start rummaging in logs/conf to work out what's going wrong?

That looks like a contender s43 as I am using hplib. Something to look at, cheers :)

Seems I have a load of FC14 packages installed somehow... must have forced an upgrade of some software at some point that brought those in. Once of those packages is hplip-libs so that's gone.

Reinstalled 13 libraries ok.

Now it sems some gnome-panel packages are also from FC14 instead of 13 so removing that to reinstall and it's taking loads of stuff with it because of dependencies. Including some FC12 libraries!!!!

Fingers crossed this'll all work out in the end...

Hi DaFoot,

Yes, that's why I ditched 'Leonidas' (Fedora 11) - was trying to install codec's for video, it updated from Fedora 12 - no wonder they call it 'bleeding edge' from Fedora!

swarfendor43

I think on this occasion it was my fault judging by the packages that are causing issues. I went and upgraded to a newer OpenOffice by forcing use of FC14 repos.....reaping the side effects now I think!