When did we start with the st george cross

Hi just an observation but this might be answered by some of the older members

When watching footage of the 1966 world cup final all you see is the Union Jack flag and hardly any st georges crosses - these days all we see are st georges crosses and no Union Jacks.

Can any one tell me why ??

and before you say the Union jack is for alll of the UK whilst the st georges cross is for England -I am sure that was the same in 1966 but they still chose the Union Jack ?

Are we more patriotic or nationalist now than we were in 66

I think the distinct identities of the various parts of the UK have become more acknowledged in recent years. Many people used England and Britain (and the flags) interchangeably, in ways that were often quite frustrating to Scots, Welsh etc. Many still do use the terms as if they mean the same thing, but awareness has increased. Since the increase in political autonomy of the other regions, the idea of an English identity as opposed to a catch-all British one has gained prominence. That's how it seemed to me as the years went by anyhow. :)

Started during Euro 96 my friend, why, i dont know.

St George Cross is far cheaper to knock up than the Union Jack.

Since the formation of a Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly and the attendant nationalism, it's not surprising that England has countered with a more nationalistic stance of its own and its own flag.

Since the formation of a Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly and the attendant nationalism, it's not surprising that England has countered with a more nationalistic stance of its own and its own flag.

This is 100% correct, the Scots, Welsh and Irish (Northern) got a taste for their own identity, and at sporting events paticularly, they opted out of 'God Save The Queen' and the Union Jack in favour of their own anthems and flags, hence the England fans now fly the George cross and not the Union Jack !