Sky+ box help please.

Right to cut a long story short. I am moving back home with my parents I have a while left to run on my Sky HD contract and my parents are no longer commited to their Sky+ contract.

My parents are going to cancel their sky and let me transfer my HD to their house. Now Sky have said that if they cancel their Sky they will lose all the recorded programmes on their Sky+ box this includes quite a few series and programmes that they do not want to lose.

My question is does anyone know how I can get the programmes off the Sky+ box without using a dvd recorder (tried and failed miserably) Or if there is a way they could watch the programmes after the Sky has been cancelled. Otherwise I am going to end up buying about 5 box set dvd collections :(

for a tenner a month cant you get extra room?

that way you pay for yours and your parents pay an extra tenner and put it in another room

works something like that and they should still get the plus part

My question is does anyone know how I can get the programmes off the Sky+ box without using a dvd recorder (tried and failed miserably) (

Have you tried a recorder with a hard drive yet?

I take it that moving back in with your parents isn't a permanent thing? If so then can't they just wait till you've moved back out and restart their Sky+ subscription? (they will have to re-subscribe because you can't watch any recorded programmes if you don't). Or can they really not live without watching them for a while?

What went wrong when you tried to use a DVD recorder? It really is incredibly simple to do. The Sky+ box even has special options to allow you to do it! As far as I can remember you just highlight the program you want to copy, press the red button and start your DVD recorder (plug the "video out" scart on the sky+ box into the "video in" scart on the DVD recorder).

The recorded programs are encrypted and stored in a special format that can't be played on a PC, so there is no chance of just taking out the hard drive in the Sky+ box and connecting it to a PC to copy the recordings.

I take it that moving back in with your parents isn't a permanent thing? If so then can't they just wait till you've moved back out and restart their Sky+ subscription? (they will have to re-subscribe because you can't watch any recorded programmes if you don't). Or can they really not live without watching them for a while?

What went wrong when you tried to use a DVD recorder? It really is incredibly simple to do. The Sky+ box even has special options to allow you to do it! As far as I can remember you just highlight the program you want to copy, press the red button and start your DVD recorder (plug the "video out" scart on the sky+ box into the "video in" scart on the DVD recorder).

The recorded programs are encrypted and stored in a special format that can't be played on a PC, so there is no chance of just taking out the hard drive in the Sky+ box and connecting it to a PC to copy the recordings.

Hi thanks for the reply. It seemed really simple when I read the instructions but it just would not work. The record button would not work on the DVD player then it just started playing the whole programme as if it would take the entire episode for it to record and if that's the case I have 50 or 60 episodes to record and it aint with the effort.

I think my parents will just end up waiting until I bugger off somewhere else again.

Hi thanks for the reply. It seemed really simple when I read the instructions but it just would not work. The record button would not work on the DVD player then it just started playing the whole programme as if it would take the entire episode for it to record and if that's the case I have 50 or 60 episodes to record and it aint with the effort.

I'm assuming your DVD recorder doesn't have a Hard Drive, if it does then that would be the easier option, although you would still need to record in real time rather than dub at high speed, unless your Hard drive recorder (If you have one) specifically could be set to high speed dubbing from an external source.

I think my parents will just end up waiting until I bugger off somewhere else again.

Yeah it is a pretty lengthy process, but its the only way to do it :|

If they're that bothered about it then you could always show your parents how to do it! They could just watch them whilst they record them!! Would take a few lengthy sittings to get it done though.

Yeah it is a pretty lengthy process, but its the only way to do it :|

If they're that bothered about it then you could always show your parents how to do it! They could just watch them whilst they record them!! Would take a few lengthy sittings to get it done though.

I have told them how to do it now so yeah either they can do it themselves or wait till I have buggered off. Don't know why my Dads complaining he's getting HD in time for the world cup and all he's done is whine.

Cheers :thumbsup:

would something like this be useful to you: http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/index.php ?

hth

Biggan

As far as I can tell from taking a quick glance at it, the software on that site only allows you to back up your Sky+ HDD or copy its contents to another one. It doesn't allow you to copy the recordings to DVD or watch them on a PC. They always remain in the same encrypted format and are only playable on a Sky+ box.

As far as I can tell from taking a quick glance at it, the software on that site only allows you to back up your Sky+ HDD or copy its contents to another one. It doesn't allow you to copy the recordings to DVD or watch them on a PC. They always remain in the same encrypted format and are only playable on a Sky+ box.

could you not backup your Sky+ and then restore them onto your SkyHD box - so they could be watched off the HD box instead?

could you not backup your Sky+ and then restore them onto your SkyHD box - so they could be watched off the HD box instead?

That is a good point. Didn't think of that. Although I doubt he'll want to void the warranty on a brand new Sky+ HD box by taking it apart to get the hard drive out...