What can I do, my dog is a bully.

Please can someone offer some advice. I have a dog that is very aggressive towards other animals, especially dogs. We can never let her off the lead, always wears a muzzle when out. Have tried behavioral training but is too distracted by other dogs but she is a keen pupil. I'm at the end of my tether, this morning she was almost run over as she spotted another dog on the other side of the road and lunged towards it. Later on the way home went for another dog that had come out of a door unexpectedly with it's owner. She is unpredictable when meeting other animals, sometimes looks positive and has her tail wagging then for no reason will try to attack the other dog.

We got her as a rescue 2 years ago and unfortunately despite everything we've tried she seems to be getting worse.

Can anyone help or advise what we can do. I don't want to have her put down but I don't want her to hurt another animal either.

Do you have her on anything which can help to control her ability to pull you all over and lunge at other animals? You don't mention her size or breed BTW- is this relevant to whether you can control her on a lead?

If she's big enough that she can decide to lunge and get some distance from you before you get a hold of her then I'd suggest getting a head collar which will give you the edge on controlling her.

There are lots of different designs about, all of which have their merits and supporters, but we've had good results with Dogmatics head collars (she hates it, but it works) and even better results with a k9bridle (it works and she doesn't mind being in it!).

Molly, my GSD, lunges and barks at other dogs and so when we know that she's going to be around other dogs we put her in her k9bridle and we can then go from huge barking and misbehaving dog to sweetie pie walking at our side between the other dogs at a dog show (for instance). We went to a couple of events last year which involved her sharing a field with over 100 other dogs and she managed just fine in her k9bridle, whereas I think she'd have been a total nightmare without it.

k9bridles work by pulling their nose down whenever they try to lunge or run at another dog, which just stops the lunge in its tracks. They're available at all sorts of shows and online, but I've never seen them in a pet shop.

I wish you luck on teaching her that her lunging is not welcome.

oops, should have said really. just a bit upset at the moment. 3 year old neutered GSD / Akita cross. Have her in a body harness at all times when on the lead. Have a fabric muzzle. Have a slightly "bungey" short lead as she managed to snap a good quality chain lead before now. She has soo much strength in a bound, this mornings incident was whilst she was being walked on the wall side of a pavement at heel but bounded out into the road at arms length. The only warning is that she focuses intently on the other animal. Tried distracting with commands, love and fuss, treats, shouting NO (all on seperate occasions over the last year) Have tried walking her close, and with slack on the lead. She can walk a dream when people are passing, responsive to commands when on the lead until something four legged appears in sight.

I think you need a head collar which she doesn't like pulling against then. Body harnesses don't stop them pulling and allow them to put their whole body weight into something- that's not at all appropriate for a dog so large unless you've got enough body weight to be certain to stop her on a short leash.

thanks for the info on the K9bridle. Started her off on a traditional style halti and she just pulled like an ox on it. Believe it or not the best results so far have been with the body harness for general pulling but when another animal is involved it does help her more than me!

oops, should have said really. just a bit upset at the moment. 3 year old neutered GSD / Akita cross. Have her in a body harness at all times when on the lead. Have a fabric muzzle. Have a slightly "bungey" short lead as she managed to snap a good quality chain lead before now. She has soo much strength in a bound, this mornings incident was whilst she was being walked on the wall side of a pavement at heel but bounded out into the road at arms length. The only warning is that she focuses intently on the other animal. Tried distracting with commands, love and fuss, treats, shouting NO (all on seperate occasions over the last year) Have tried walking her close, and with slack on the lead. She can walk a dream when people are passing, responsive to commands when on the lead until something four legged appears in sight.

I was in exactly the same position as you two years ago and was looking at the pts route. (mines a labrador/bully breed cross) He was is such a rage that he would bite anything if a dog came onto the scene. He is still no way near perfect but can now be of lead if muzzled with dogs he knows without problems. He still is still unpreditable around new dogs but no where as bad. It's so upsetting when they are pretty much perfect in every other way.

Things I have found:

1) Find an expert that is used to training dog aggressive dogs and has classes, if they are too bad they will reccommend 1:1 lesson first, but your dog might surprise you. You may not like what they have to say but if you have already gone through the regular trainers with no effect it might be your only route. It was for us, it worked and I still go.

2) Always wear some sort of halti / head harness or a slip lead if they will not fit with the muzzle. Basketville muzzles look horrid but are much better for the dog.

3) Try to stop avoiding other dogs completely. But make sure the other dog is on lead, calm and far enough away not to cause a reaction. Once they 'rage' you have lost. They might be 100+ metres away but you need a starting point. Also go somewhere else then your normal walking route when you do this. I'm finding the hardest places to crack are his regular walking routes :loopy:

4) Some dogs will never get on with other dogs so don't expect this. But expect to be able to walk past a dog with interest but without a lunge. If your realistic it helps :) It also takes a lot of time to get the results. It has taken me over a year once I found the help that worked for my dog. Which is basically forcing him to be around dogs at distances and in situations he is comfortable with.

5) Some people swear by clicker training. I think there is a book called 'click to calm' which might be worth reading.

Good Luck, you sounds like you love your dog and I know how frustrating and upsetting it is. If you want to ask anything please do, I'm not an expert just someone who had got through the worst part of it and is now coming through the other side of it....very slowly, I'll never do it again :hihi:

PS. There is an Akita/ GSH cross at the training walk I go to. It used to wear a muzzle but is a perfect gentleman now so there is hope, again it has been a long term investment by the owner.

Edited by Evei
added ps.

Is this your only dog Tamarind? That may have a bearing on any answers you get here

In the short term, it's essential to gain control of your dog as quickly as possible. For such a large breed, I'd suggest a double lead arrangement, with a halti or similar attached to one lead, and a HALF check collar on the other. It's much easier to steer with both

I'd suggest asking Evie for her trainer's contact details, as there are many reasons your dog may be behaving this way, and unless the right reason is identified, advice given here may make matters worse for you instead of better

Oh Tamarind :( That's such a shame because last I heard she was doing so well! You were really pleased with her.

I definitely think you need to speak with Evei's trainer and look at using a head collar as well as the harness. (If the harness works for you I see no reason not to use it, but a head collar will help to steer her head when another dog is nearby) the only problem is, muzzles and head collars don't always mix easily.

Please also don't use a fabric muzzle they're terrible for allowing the dog to pant properly, a baskerville muzzle will allow her to feel more comfortable and won't add to her stress levels as much as a fabric muzzle.

As Strix says, asking for advice on here is futile, you will end up with all different contrasting advice from different people who most of them, regardless of them meaning well, really, don't know.

Good luck and please keep us updated, Tilly's lovely and though I haven't heard from you for a long time, I just figured everything was still going well!

I have an Akita, and the halter was no use on her either.. but we have found the gentle leader to work. Akita's are stubborn things and if they think they have the upper hand.. well.. you need to do lots of reinforcements training.. ie every day.. go back through the the basics, and reward her. Shouting aggressively at Akitas ( and most other dogs) really does not work, but Akita's don't respond well to 'fear' training. ( not that I am saying that's what you do.. ).

My girl can be a handful at times, and she is far from perfect, but with lots of work we can take her out. We lucky that she is quite dog friendly, unless the other dog is aggressive and then she wont back down!. The gentle leader works as I can turn her head away if she starts to get to 'excited' and she doesn't have much choice! So that defuses any situation... I have enforced it with a 'leaveit' command,, which is said in a strong positive way, but I don't shout, and she responds quite well...

I'm a 'short' and slightly disabled middle aged woman - and I have to walk her when my husband is working - so I need to be able to control her.

If you want to chat please feel free to pm me!