Dodgy Looking Bloke on Harvey Clough Road nr Derbyshire Lane

Just got back from walking my dog, I live in a terrace on Harvey Clough Road. Just ahead of me a man emerges from one back yard wearing a illuminous workmans vest and he walks into my back yard, which is also three other houses back yards. He didnt see me follow him in, he walked to the end where my last neighbours house is, sees me and walks back and quickly asks me 'got any scrap metal that needs moving?' and doesnt hang around particularly to get an answer.

I am pretty sure I have heard of would be robbers doing this when they are casing places out, it only occured to me after he had gone that this is what he could be have been doing.

Do people actually come round and ask if anyone needs scrap metal moving these days?

Should I report this to the police, would that be of any benefit?

Anyway, if you are in the area, be vigilant I guess.

id let the police know - loads of sneak in burglaries just lately and you never know

Do people actually come round and ask if anyone needs scrap metal moving these days?

Apparently not, there are loads of post on this forum where the scrap men just take without asking.

Yes, I just spoke to the police and they said it was most likely a scrap metal man who is just stealing metal from peoples garden, because the price of scrap metal has gone through the roof. So most likely he was a robber but only for metal thankfully.

did they take details of him and what did they say

Incidently, my dog never growls at anyone and he went nuts at this guy......good boy.

did they take details of him and what did they say

They did, they took his details down and sent two separate reports, one to the council and one to the police. They said incidents like this are happening a lot since scrap metals value has gone up.

I would let them know. My friend had strangers looking in her garden!!!! for metal scrap in a day time, while she was at the kitchen. She lives near Meersbrook Park!!!

theres been a few dodgy blokes round my area aswell so just be aware people

Don´t know what this new fashion means.

My wife was in the house a few months back when some bloke came up the side of the house. She challenged him and he made an excuse about looking for scrap metal. When she accused him of being a thief, he and his mate who was in the pickup both started swearing at her and calling her all sorts of things.

They should have their legs broken and their vehicle torched. With them in it.

Edited by Yog Sothoth

I am pretty sure I have heard of would be robbers doing this when they are casing places out, it only occured to me after he had gone that this is what he could be have been doing.

He's a thief. There are a lot of gangs doing this all over Sheffield. Usually it's two or three men in a pick up who break or walk into people's gardens and steal whatever they can to sell for the scrap metal value. This includes removing peoples' gates, taking childrens' bikes and breaking into sheds to take tools.

There is a long running thread about this problem on the forum. I was the victim of one of these gangs of thieves last year who I found just outside my open back door looking for things to steal. I told him he was a thief and to get off my property, then followed him outside. The van was parked in front of my neighbour's house (they were in full view in their lounge!) and had three men in it. The thief jumped in and the van sped off up the road before I could get the number plate.

The police know about this problem but you need to report every incident.