History of Sheffield steel industry and people

In the 1920's my father worked at Parkgate Iron & Steel clearing slag from the furnaces. In those days they came to work and went home in their work clothes. He claimed, when he got on the tram back to Rotherham everyone moved to the other end of the car!

• 2 months later...

Stainless Steven got his name because he wore a waistcoat made of stainless steel(Stainless steel is basically 18% chrome @ 8% nickel) He was quite popular on the radio before the war along with Reginald Dixon (who played the organ in Blackpool tower) another Sheffield lad

• 2 months later...
I worked in Firth Browns Melting Department from 1938 until 1984 when they closed down 20 years ago (May 1984) after they merged with E.S.C. and became Sheffield Forgemasters

Does anyone here (Kingfisher?) have any Memories of Firth-Browns? My Grandfather Ernest Darley worked there. He was in a smelting accident that left him with serious burns & forced him to leave. My Great Grandfather Edgar Dawtry was I think Manager of the Melting Department.

English Steel, Samuel Osbourne (forge), Spartan Steel's ( rolling mill )Sheffield Steel products ( Stamp Shop ) Edgar allen Foundry ( Melting Shop ) Catton and Co ltd ( melting shop ) Firth Vickers ( Melting Shop ) I know it sounds like a c/v but if anyone was in those places between 1967 and 1999 then I would love to hear from you. Also Johnedward, if you want know know owt about the steelworks in that period ( strikes and all ) then please get in touch and I will tell you all I know ( shouldn't take long ) lol. Looking above ,it seems I was good at making bracket's lol

Does anyone here (Kingfisher?) have any Memories of Firth-Browns? My Grandfather Ernest Darley worked there. He was in a smelting accident that left him with serious burns & forced him to leave. My Great Grandfather Edgar Dawtry was I think Manager of the Melting Department.

Hi dandyman,

i knew your grandfather very well,he was the son in law of Edgar Dawtry who was manager of both the Electric melting and the Siemen,s melting depts.Ernest Darley was a smallish man who always looked smartly dressed,i remember people saying that if he wore an old sack he would look smart.His job was to make the melting programme for the furnaces which was not as easy as it would seem.Edgar had the unenviable job of keeping the furnaces going all through the war. I was his office boy in the early 1940,s I worked in the Melting Dept from 1938 until its closure in 1984