History of Sheffield steel industry and people

:loopy:

Please can someone help me?

I am studying for a degree in socoilogy and community studies at Hull University

and would like any information, personal or otherwise about the start of the steel industry, to it's gradual dimise and how it affected indivuals/families. Perhaps there may be someone who started as a boy, following in fathers' footsteps and has a wealth of information that may be usefull.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Cheers

edited to spell Sheffield correctly - max

Take a trip to Kelham Island Museum nand you will find everything you need

Sorry I was late to reply. Can't get to musium as I live in Hull. Do they have web address please?

Cheers

John

If you contact the "Sheffield Shop" on Surrey St, Sheffield they have mountains of books on the Steel industry.

Dont know if this posting is too late.

My great grandfather was killed in the Steel Works in a freak accident. It was reported in the local paper May 1920 when an 8 tonne piece of metal fell on him after a chain came loose, literally crushing him to death. He was still alive when they rushed him to the local infirmary but later died from his wounds.

My grandfather and his brother had to leave school early to take up jobs to help support my great grandmother and the rest of the family as they were the too early. My grandfather took an apprenticeship and went on to become a glass blower.

I have more details of the newspaper article etc if it would help.

Hi, have a look on these links and you'll probably find some useful info:-

http://www.ourselvesourplace.org.uk

http://www.picturesheffield.com

http://www.thenortheast.fsnet.co.uk

I can also tell you that the Parson Cross estate in Sheffield 5 some two-bed houses were built for the steel workers. They would walk to Attercliffe where the factories were and later on their daughters/wives would take their lunches to them. Today many of those houses are awaiting demolition as the council is to sell the land to developers who will build three-bed houses.

Hope these links go some way to helping you out.

In Reply to John Edward

I worked in the steel industry for theirty years as did my father, uncles and grandfather. I do have some knowledge. If you wish to contact me with any specific questions I will do my best to help you.

Pop T

My dad worked at Jonas and Colvers from the early 40's until he died in 1963. We lived at Wadsley Bridge, and he used to walk down to the tram stop on Halifax Road, then get another tram to the Attercliife area from Fitzalan Square. He got up at four oclock, and one of my memories was of him bringing me a pint pot of tea, if I was awake. Still the best tea I have ever tasted!! He was a 'swing grinder' for many years, but changed to being an overhead crane operator in late 1956. He died of a disease called pneumoconiosis, so the doctor said, an autopsy was done, and my mother was told that he had cancer, no trace of a lung disease, so, and I quote, "you are not eligible for a pension,"

I worked there from 69 until the old place closed in 79... in the rolling mills... overhead crane driving... I remember in the end it was sad... all the mill apart from ours number 4 had been shut and striped for scrap... we worked like that for over a year before we too lost our jobs... lots of jobs have gone in Sheffield between then and now

I worked in Firth Browns Melting Department from 1938 until 1984 when they closed down 20 years ago (May 1984) after they merged with E.S.C. and became Sheffield Forgemasters