Advice Needed - Former employer / legal

Hi all,

As the title suggests I'm looking for advice, and whether it's worth taking action against a former employer. This might be a long post, so bear with me.

At my previous place of employment, I witnessed what can only be described as an appalling lack of ethics and mistreatment of staff. I will not reveal any details about the employer or the company, so I'll refer to them as X, and company X.

Company X had opened a new branch being run by one half of a married couple, X. When I was interviewed for the position I was offered the role on the spot, with a promise of a pay review after a 3-month probabtionary period. I was given my duties, and quickly fit into the role (at this point, I was the only staff member other than X). After a month or so, a female colleague was recruited for the admin work (we'll call her Y) and for the first couple of weeks or so everything was ok. Then, we noticed that X was having mood swings, and talking to us both like we were worthless, while all the while proceeding to do nothing to help himself or the business. My personal duties were changed without my knowledge, and upon a return from holiday, I was given a severe disciplinary and a 1 week trial to prove I was worth keeping by X. I managed to keep the position, but the situation got worse. At times, we were expected to clean the office, including his desk, and also the urine off the floor around the toilet, which was not our doing and very unpleasant.

My female collegeague, Y, would regularly be the target of verbal abuse and would sit in silence throughout the day. After a while, and several sick days (due to not wanting to come in) she walked out and was told she had resigned due to "not be able to handle the pressure". I had to inherit her duties as well as my own. After my three months were up I was offered a permanent position, without the chance of a pay rise until I could justify it by making the company enough money to earn it, bearing in mind I'm not trained at all in sales in any form. I was expected to telesales, market and handle all my own admin as well as X's, when none of this was my primary role or mentioned to me at any point.

Thankfully, I found another job and left on good terms as to ensure a quick pay cheque would come through (as agreed with X). I then wasn't paid until nearly a month later, by cheque, 3 weeks into my new job. I've since stopped any contact with the employer or the sister companies.

As I left on good terms, I decided to leave it there but have been wondering lately if it's worth pursuing as I hate knowing that I could help someone who will be put into my old role and sufer the same fate. X told me that his two previous staff had walked out, and he's got through an amazing 24 staff members in 18 months. I have been in contact with Y since, and she informed me that she was fired on the spot with no notice, which I've heard is illegal.

Is it worth contacting her again and considering to take action? I know the names of 3 former employers who left on bad terms too and feel between us we could potentially mount at least an independent investigation.

Any advice offered is greatly appreciated, it just makes my blood boil that someone like that can reap the rewards of others hard work while being a bully.

Being ''fired on the spot'' is instant dismissal. I have had to do this before now, but for situations like admitted theft, or horseplay in the office. It is not illegal per se.

Did you stand up for "Y" when she was being verbally abused regularly?

What do you expect to gain by taking action?

I doubt you would get any financial gain.

If it's to save others the same "fate" then name and shame them. Be 100% sure you can substantiate your statements or you could face legal action.

My advice......put it down to experience and move on.

You have a new job.....enjoy it.

Thanks all, I think your right Allen as I have drawn a line under it and moved on. I guess it's upto others now to learn for themselves.

Thanks again for the advice.

I would talk to "Y" and see how she feels. It could be she wanted to take matters further but was not strong enough at the time. You would have to consider what would be gained/how helpful the process might be, etc. It might be worth getting initial independant advice, and then taking it from there.

If your former colleague wants to discuss things with you and asks for your support then that's a matter for them to decide but I would leave it to them and otherewise refrain from initiating any action.

You have to have been employed for at least 12 months to take an employer down the tribunal route unless you are claiming discrimination such as racial, disability, etc. and it's clear that is not the case.

It's strange that the company have not noticed a problem with this branch if he has gone through so many staff?

I would probably write an email/letter to the company (it could even be anonymous) making them aware of the bad work environment their branch manager has created.

I wouldnt waste time on an Employment tribunal in Sheffield or the EAT for that matter.

In my case the proceedings were influenced by government intervention and the EAT refuse to process requests for a police enquiry into why that should be.

Suffice it to say its a lot of stress for a stitch up.

The evidence has been passed on to S Y Finest but given their latest clam to fame of condoning serial rape of the sheffield daughters over a 12 year period then offering an appology the investigation is not expected to bring any charges against a goverment department / individual engaged in pervertingthe course of justice.