Yet another staffy attack on a defenceless child in Sheffield!

my vet told me that dogs can suffer from depression, so do humans .........

Oh no they can't. Sulking is a human emotion that animals and dogs are incapable of doing- along with jealousy and envy and many others that we fixate on when our dogs behaviour changes.

The dog portrays a behaviour that you interpret as sulking - the actual behaviour could be anything from submission, to dominant protest.

If it "sulks" do you pet it or offer it some comfort?

you have a point lol sorry your right lolxxx

So their reputation is deserved?

SOME staffies are nasty, inbred or brain dead animals. SOME owners are the same. SOME members of the press and public are very similar.

They aren't all vicious, nasty and spiteful - neither are all the dogs.

Dogs are only what you make them. If people began training Labs to be fighting dogs, in a few years time they could have the same bad rep as Staffies do now. It does not mean the breed is evil, it means the breed has been abused.

Well i live in a so called "deprived" area and i own a staffie! so what some of are saying is that my dog is a child killer??

My staffie is 10yr old and the softest dog anyone could wish to meet, i have a 5yr old son and 3yr old daughter and they love him to bits and vice versa.

I look after my dog but sadly some people do not and blame the owner not the dog.

Oh and greavsey i have checked the facts which you clearly have not!

Without reading garbage in the media check the kennel club amongst others and you will find Labs attack more children than staffies and Labs also have a worse reputation with kids. FACT!!!

How ridiculous is it that apparently the only dog breeds that one can have (according to this thread) are labradors and Staffordshire bull terrier. And let's all clarify there is no such breed a Staffordshire pit bull terrier. The American pit bull terrier is a completely different breed, and which incidently is illegal to own in the UK.

If we're all going to go on about our own experiences, which seemed to be as valid as Common British Law in this thread, then I have seen more aggressive behaviour from labradors, one of which attacked me when I was a young child. I personally have never had a negative experience with a Staffy, nor particularly any other breed, other than the small nasty yapping types, which have been so interbred they'll probably be growing five legs soon.

Though, oddly enough my Nan has a lab/staffy cross which is as daft as brush and an adorable creature.

It seems so stupid for someone to call for the entire destruction of a breed of dog because recently the media have hyped up Staffy attacks on children. The fact that this thread keeps throwing up labs as a safe dog is as good as proof that the medias doing it's job properly, because who could ever be hurt by a cute puppy who rolls around in toilet paper?

Every animal is a liability, from your average domestic pet to the obviously dangerous wild animals. The same goes for humans. We don't just decide to kill off an entire strain of humans because of their genetics (unless you're Hitler of course). I understand that many people won't see a dog's life and a human's life as being equal but I think it's important to see it in this light because to be frank so many people overreact over statistics. If you truly believed in statistics you'd never get in a car again.

And let's face it, it comes down to a nature vs nurture argument, which none of us are going to sort out on here. But a "bad" owner usually equals a "bad" dog. Just as a "bad" parent can quite often be to blame for a "bad" child.

Edited by magpies

I've known Jack Russell's to be nasty you can't blame the breed, just like different types of people all dogs have different personalities too. My brother has a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and 3 young children i think she's about 6 years old now. She's great with the kids she's never been jealous of them even though she was spoilt before the kids were born, never snapped at anyone and if the kids are crying she goes to see what's up with them.

If you're refering to the breed, no. It's not in their temperament to behave in the way the scumbags would like them to. But that's easily fixed by some irresponsible breeding, some goading, prodding and poking, and there you have it.. a blood line to make your blood run cold, but that applies to all dogs.

Oh no they can't. Sulking is a human emotion that animals and dogs are incapable of doing- along with jealousy and envy and many others that we fixate on when our dogs behaviour changes.

The dog portrays a behaviour that you interpret as sulking - the actual behaviour could be anything from submission, to dominant protest.

If it "sulks" do you pet it or offer it some comfort?

Have you ever witnessed a bitch lose her entire litter?

Well said clea. the only time my dog gets to giddy is when i am cutting cheese! lol dont ask me why maybe its a staffie thing and he loves it.

Have you ever witnessed a bitch lose her entire litter?

Totally irrelevant - YOU associate the emotion of sulking. The dog will be distressed,stressed and anxious in the scenario you depict. But definitely not sulking.

somebody murderd somebody around near me, thats it where all WIPED OUT humaley euthanise us all