Buses of the past in Sheffield

Does anyone remember the yellow and green coloured buses, mostly single deckers? Obviousley yellow and red used to be the old Mainline colours but I remember yellow and green, what company was that? :confused:

And not forgetting Andrews! Use to be used as school buses but were very unreliable always breaking down. I often walked from Fulwood to Totley and when i did, I use to beat the school bus a lot due its unreliability.

How I miss sitting on the back of a C reg double decker bus breathing in fumes.....ahhhh happy days! :hihi:

AHHHHH!! just remembered, was it Yorkshire Traction the yellow and green ones???

That would be Torkshire Terrier, bought by Yorkshire Traction then bought by Stagecoach

Andrews buses always appeared to be clean and bright coloured tho!

This must have been their flagship. Most of them were pretty dire, as I recall.

andrews were blue am i right? I miss the old retro red and yellow buses, i still see them in the depo often when i drive past.

One feature of the old single decker buses I remember was the back at the top, they had a raised bit which you dont see anymore.

The double deckers had like a parcel shelf back end almost looking like a saloon boot on a car. The string you had to pull which was the bell. The luggage compartment under the stairs which kids sat in, also the wooden luggage compartment at the back which acted as a child seat!

The little nipper buses which threw you every which way with the old leaf spring or tortion bar suspension which was as hard as concrete. You could throw them round corners pretty well though!

Last but not least, the good old bendy-bus! I use to stand with one foot on one part and one foot on the middle part. It was always interesting watching the back end follow the front end like a lost sheep. How I laughed as well when people had no idea what doors to get off at, and the bus drivers would open the front ones only and people would have to walk in an almost walk of shame fashion down the isle and exit the bus.

I miss the Dennis Dominators, and the old double door with the huge ass ones, alexanders?

Then you had the metro's that ran the fastlink lines..those we nice to sit in.

Best livery for the poor sighted was the mainline one, they had character unlike the barbie buses.

Lol barbie buses, never heard that phrase before but make sense! What company is the brown red and white bus in the pics?

Lol barbie buses, never heard that phrase before but make sense! What company is the brown red and white bus in the pics?

...SYT (South Yorkshire Transport) - the livery from '86 till the new "Mainline" livery from 1990 which eventually replaced it. ;)

....another one for you ! - the Supertram is currently painted in the newer Stagecoach "beachball" livery !!!!:hihi:

... just to let you know .... there was 2 "Barbie" liveries. The was first called the "Barbie fade" where the pink was faded from deep pink up to white near the top , now only the last few still running - then the second livery as used now is the "Barbie willow leaf" livery !!!!;)