Banning lorries from Bocking Lane/Greenhill Avenue

Not a very good idea is giving details such as you have, i'm sure Mr Leigh will not be impressed !

Mr Leigh will take it as seriously as I take you peremptory comments.Remember those famous words

"Frank Leigh,I dont give a dam"

Its people like youm that make SF a temptation to people like me.Do you ever go fishing by the way when not running?

At the end of the day, much of the HGV traffic going down these two roads, is delivering to the large Tesco's & Sainsbury's at Millhouses - something which should've been considered a long time ago, at the planning stage.

But there's a 7.5 tonne limit on Hutcliffe Wood Road which in theory stops them going to Sainsbury's that way. The real problem is HGVs going between Bochum Parkway (the outer ring road) and Derbyshire (e.g. Bakewell & Baslow). Because there's a weight limit at Holmesfield on the most direct route, they have to go round the houses to get onto the outer ring road. If they'd by-passed Holmesfield years ago there wouldn't be all this HGV traffic getting down into Woodseats.

To give a little bit of background knowledge from a residents position:

The campaign to get the HUGE lorries stopped was nothing to do with any councillors - it was a community action group set up by 1 resident of Bocking Lane and 1 of Greenhill Ave. They went to EVERY house on both roads any got residents who felt action was necessary to sign the petition. I am not one of the action group but it must have taken them hours - it has then taken over 3 years of attending council meeting etc to get the changes.

To answer some issues raised from my perspective:

The main problem lorries are NOT lorries from the shops: they are HUGE aggregate lorries from Stoney Middleton.

These travelled up and down the road extremely fast and on one day I counted 11 in 40 mintues when waiting for a bus. They also travelled at unearthly hours in the morning (eg 4 am)returning to Stoney Middleton well in excess of the speed limits (I know the action group actually measured this).

The issue of lorries being sent up into the village (up bocking lane)- If you actually follow the signs you will see that the lorries are sent in a circle back to Meadowhead roundabout - The idea I believe is that once a lorry driver has been sent this route (which would mean they had ignored the signs anyway!) they will never do this again, as who wants to drive in circles! There will of course be increased lorries being daft initially but I don't think there will be many lorries through the village after the next few weeks.

Greenhill Ave/Bocking Lane is a Class C road which means the infrastructure (eg Drains/tarmac etc) has not been designed for lorries. They should go down Meadowhead and turn left at Abbey Lane - Large lorries were never a problem until Sat Nav came into being and did not know what Class roads were and sent the lorries up Bocking Lane.

I am NOT involved with the council and I DO NOT think that all planning decisions make sense BUT I feel it is important to know the background about things before ranting on a personal note about people.

The campaign to get the HUGE lorries stopped was nothing to do with any councillors - it was a community action group set up by 1 resident of Bocking Lane and 1 of Greenhill Ave. They went to EVERY house on both roads any got residents who felt action was necessary to sign the petition. I am not one of the action group but it must have taken them hours - it has then taken over 3 years of attending council meeting etc to get the changes.

The main problem lorries are NOT lorries from the shops: they are HUGE aggregate lorries from Stoney Middleton.

These travelled up and down the road extremely fast and on one day I counted 11 in 40 mintues when waiting for a bus. They also travelled at unearthly hours in the morning (eg 4 am)returning to Stoney Middleton well in excess of the speed limits (I know the action group actually measured this).

The issue of lorries being sent up into the village (up bocking lane)- If you actually follow the signs you will see that the lorries are sent in a circle back to Meadowhead roundabout - The idea I believe is that once a lorry driver has been sent this route (which would mean they had ignored the signs anyway!) they will never do this again, as who wants to drive in circles! There will of course be increased lorries being daft initially but I don't think there will be many lorries through the village after the next few weeks.

Greenhill Ave/Bocking Lane is a Class C road which means the infrastructure (eg Drains/tarmac etc) has not been designed for lorries. They should go down Meadowhead and turn left at Abbey Lane - Large lorries were never a problem until Sat Nav came into being and did not know what Class roads were and sent the lorries up Bocking Lane.

I am NOT involved with the council and I DO NOT think that all planning decisions make sense BUT I feel it is important to know the background about things before ranting on a personal note about people.

If you had to wait 40 minutes for a bus then I woould be complaining about that rather than the odd lorry.Why should folkmon abbey Lane with big detached houses costing the earth have to endure even more lorries because of some nimbies?

If you had to wait 40 minutes for a bus then I woould be complaining about that rather than the odd lorry.Why should folkmon abbey Lane with big detached houses costing the earth have to endure even more lorries because of some nimbies?

They should have checked what Class of road they lived on before they spent all that money if it was an issue!

Thank you for a concise and I suppose accurate reason for the banning of lorries on Bocking Lane/ Greenhill Ave.

It is however a typical piece of nimbyism. Never mind anyone else, never mind the danger to the children of Abbey Lane School, never mind the extra traffic at the over conjested Abbey Lane/Meadowhead junction. Just stop the lorries going through the "village".

Lenny, the "villiage" dissapeared 50 odd years ago. Move on and accept your fair share of todays traffic.