Prison for Dubai kiss?

A British couple on holiday in this Gulf State have been arrested and detained for kissing on the lips in a Restaurant, a public show of affection which is against the Law. A month in Prison is on the cards.

Alchohol levels above zero are also a crime.

Having visited this Holiday destination i found it bland, slightly intimidating and apart from the nice Hotel and Beach, boring.

Surely it is time to stop visiting places such as this when there are much nicer and safer places to go especially in Europe?:confused:

I can't think of anywhere that appeals to me less than Dubai. They want foreigners to come and spend their money yet send them to prison when they don't obey the medieval style laws they have! The whole place is built on debt and just looks barren.

I for one hope that when their oil runs out it goes straight down the pan, couldn't happen to a worse place!

Valentines day in Islamic countries :hihi: there is no wonder people get themselves into trouble.

I was anticipating that there would be tourists or Western Europeans(i.e non Muslims) in the Country on Valentines evening who may celebrate the occasion similar to how they also may celebrate Christmas and Easter whilst on holiday.

It was evident during our visit that there were also certain Hotels that were allowed to serve alcoholic drinks although this is supposed to be banned and furthermore the availability of prostitutes in said bars, how bigoted can that be:suspect:

I can't think of anywhere that appeals to me less than Dubai. They want foreigners to come and spend their money yet send them to prison when they don't obey the medieval style laws they have! The whole place is built on debt and just looks barren.

I for one hope that when their oil runs out it goes straight down the pan, couldn't happen to a worse place!

:thumbsup::clap::thumbsup::clap:

You forgot to mention dogging in the street that seems to be getting common in the UK. I've seen it in Barnsley, Doncaster and Sheffield centres.

I worked late at night and have lot count of the number of lasses I've seen smashed out of their brains with skirt high and no knickers, often passed out on the street.

Yes, the Dubai government is backwards and a bunch of knuckle draggers.

Then again maybe they don't have the drugs, STD and crime problems that the UK is suffering so they may have a point after all.

That's disgusting. Do you know they let women vote, earn money, pay masses of tax :rolleyes:, get an education now as well? It's no wonder this country is going to the dogs. It all started going wrong when they stopped women covering up and let them wear skirts that showed their ankles!

You'll be telling me some women enjoy sex as well next rather than put up with it like the chaste, virginal,stupid little pets God and the editor of the Daily Fail meant them to be! :rant::rant::rant::rant:

On the original topic, Dubai is......interesting. I can't generalise about a country based on one work trip and one non-work trip, but it is quite a fascinating mix. I must say I would go again just to see what they've done to the infrastructure :P.

Like all countries and people which profess high "moral standards", Dubai society is, of course, totally hypocritical. Someone may have got punished for kissing someone, but there are masses of "working girls" round the place who presumably pay bribes or know the right people to stay out of trouble (I have no personal problem with this, I had a very funny conversation with a Eastern European hooker in a lift :hihi:) and I got the impression a lot of the Dubai men like their wives to cover up from head to toe but are very happy to cheat themselves.

Edited by millhouses24

It was evident during our visit that there were also certain Hotels that were allowed to serve alcoholic drinks although this is supposed to be banned and furthermore the availability of prostitutes in said bars, how bigoted can that be:suspect:

You’ve got it, its laughable isn’t it.

I guess we`re fortunate that despite home problems we are a civilised and accepting Country at heart who give our guests from the United Arab Emirates and Gulf States better treatment than it appears many of their counterparts don`t.

Maybe it`s high time U.K Border Control spend a bit more time on incoming...

I would not spend my money visiting the place, I don't see the attraction of holidaying there, can anyone tell me what Dubai has, that I can not get in a more westernised tourist destination :huh:

Backwards 7th century laws?

Though clealy that's not a plus point for everyone :hihi: