Sheffield sayings and rhymes

And by gum! Didn't that rainbow sherbet stuff stain your fingers?

(my favourite treat was a fresh stick of Rhubarb, plucked from the massive clump at the bottom of my Aunty Mary's cottage-garden, and a twist of sugar, to dip it in! :D ace! Kept me and my sister quiet for ages!)

Bet it didn't taste as nice as a stick pinched when 'gooin gaarden sneakin'

God I feel old....:hihi: I remember these names too...I can also remember dogs being called....'bowows' and hands being called 'dannies'...in fact my sons girlfriend whose from barnsley calls her little girls hands 'dannies'..even now...I was amazed when I first heard her say it...thought these sayings had gone out with the ark...

Remember as a child being asked if I wanted a WIDDLE before we went out...

Which brings us to that old classic, WEEWEE!!!

Where on earth does that come from, France ?

Edited by grinder

God I feel old....:hihi: I remember these names too...I can also remember dogs being called....'bowows' and hands being called 'dannies'...in fact my sons girlfriend whose from barnsley calls her little girls hands 'dannies'..even now...I was amazed when I first heard her say it...thought these sayings had gone out with the ark...

Im 24 and just had a little girl and have got this saying off my mum "get them dannies out of yer mouth" My sister said my mum had made it up but now I know she hadn't lol.

My nan nan (im sure this is very sheffield as you can never buy birthday cards for nan nans) and my mum always say "they went for a reight pearla" meaning they fell or had an accident, anbody else heard that phrase?

Im 24 and just had a little girl and have got this saying off my mum "get them dannies out of yer mouth" My sister said my mum had made it up but now I know she hadn't lol.

My nan nan (im sure this is very sheffield as you can never buy birthday cards for nan nans) and my mum always say "they went for a reight pearla" meaning they fell or had an accident, anbody else heard that phrase?

Yes, someone went for a purler, or occasionally, they "went for a burton"

Yes, someone went for a purler, or occasionally, they "went for a burton"

Going for a burton usually means kicking the bucket, or buying the farm...

To purl, meaning to knock over, spill, overturn ... is very old English, and seems to have disappeared from use except in the phrase "went for a purler." Whether there's any connection with the purl in knitting, which is 'to knit backwards' according to my wife (:huh:) ... I do not know.

My Stannington grandma had three stock phrases which she used at every opportunity.

For a new coat etc. she would say:

"That's a bobby dazzler", or sometimes

.........."That'll keep t' dust out of your eye corners"

..and for a hot bowl of soup etc:

"That'll warm t' cockles of your heart".