Why would you order vindaloo?

I was having a discussion with friends over dinner last night and conversation went on to people ordering Vindaloo's in restaurants and what we couldn't get our heads around is why anyone would want a curry like this.

Curries are supposed to be flavoursome, not so hot that you cannot taste anything and why would you want to do that to your body?. Boys: explain!!

are you constipated?

I think the orginal vindaloo had Portuguese influences with red wine and potatoes. I think the heat came when it arrived in the UK!

True but I though it was the addition of vinegar that gave it a distinctive taste rather than red wine.

(Mind you its the same thing sometimes)

True but I though it was the addition of vinegar that gave it a distinctive taste rather than red wine.

(Mind you its the same thing sometimes)

..it may have been, Rioja (pardon the pun), Ive also just discovered that originally it wasnt made with potatoes, the 'aloo' is a mispelling of 'alho', for years I thought it was meant to have spuds in it!

..it may have been, Rioja (pardon the pun), Ive also just discovered that originally it wasnt made with potatoes, the 'aloo' is a mispelling of 'alho', for years I thought it was meant to have spuds in it!

Every cloud has a silver lining though, with it having spuds in it you save on the side order of Bombay Duck. :)

Every cloud has a silver lining though, with it having spuds in it you save on the side order of Bombay Duck. :)

..sounds a bit fishy to me ;)

'Alho' means garlic in Portuguese, by the way, but the vindaloo is indeed said to be derived from the Portuguese influence on Goa. For me, the hotter the better :D

..sounds a bit fishy to me ;)

I meant Bombay Potato, your mind would be addled if you had read the number of legal agreements that I have today.

(I hope to God that I've not put any Bombay Duck clauses in any of them - been one of those days). :(

Drunk men eat these because they don;t know any better. I once went out on a date with a guy who troffed a vindaloo infront of me in a restuarant. Put me off 100%!

Let people order what they like rather then worrying about it yourself - if you're not eating it why are you bothered?

If you try and re-read my post, you may understand that I hadn't stated I was 'worried' or 'bothered', I was merely interested as to why.....

I was wondering why people eat vindaloo's. Last time we went out to an indian restaurant there were guys in there who had obviously been on the tiles scoffing vinadloos and sweating like the pigs that they are! - so this caused me to ask nationally a forum of people why they do this!.....

I think the orginal vindaloo had Portuguese influences with red wine and potatoes. I think the heat came when it arrived in the UK!

I believe the spelling for vindaloo has changed over the years but the original wording was derived from the words "wind" and "loo", this changed due to a typo on a menu in the 1960's.

However i must point out that i'm alone in my belief of this explanation.