Sheffield Theatres - Seem very quiet !

bungleboy69

• 2 weeks later...

If you do fancy popping along to the Library Theatre (its a real gem if you haven't been in already) then the 53 theatre Group will be presenting 'I Am A Camera' from the 14th April. Its the play that inspired 'Cabaret' and features Kate Spivey as the unforgettable Sally Bowles.

The performers in the 53 Group are always well worth the price of admission and are as professional as anyone that you see across the road at the Lyceum.

The tickets are £7.00, Bargain!

If you fancy finding out more about the group, check out the website, I found it by typing in 53 Theatre Group into the search engine tool bar

If you do fancy popping along to the Library Theatre (its a real gem if you haven't been in already) then the 53 theatre Group will be presenting 'I Am A Camera' from the 14th April. Its the play that inspired 'Cabaret' and features Kate Spivey as the unforgettable Sally Bowles.

The performers in the 53 Group are always well worth the price of admission and are as professional as anyone that you see across the road at the Lyceum.

The tickets are £7.00, Bargain!

If you fancy finding out more about the group, check out the website, I found it by typing in 53 Theatre Group into the search engine tool bar

Just booked 2 tickets for the Saturday night performance. Looking forward to it.

I am on the e mailing list for Sheffield theatres and have never received anything from them apart from the confirmation that I was on the list!!!!!!! Dont see things advertised anymore either (the only productions I have seen advertised for years were Stomp and Woman in Black (excellent but I have seen it at the Lyceum and Crucible).

In the next post i'l send a link where you can get free theatre tickets (I have to have posted 5 times before i can sent a url =D )

its set up by the government; i read about it in the Times. If the government are giving away free theatre tickets then i'm affraid i have to agree with you, i honestly can't remember the last time i ever went, i know schools go to theatres but they are expensive to visit otherwise.

If you fancy a reasonably priced night out at the theatre you could do a lot worse than check out what's on at the Library Theatre across the road from the Lyceum, i saw a cracking play there just before Christmas (A Kick In The Baubles) and have to say that the cast and production were as good as anything have seen in the professional stage.

I saw the same production, and while it was decent for an amatuer production it was certainly a LONG way away from most things I have seen on the professional stage. The venue is also run down and the lighting and sound quality awful. I'm not knocking the am-dram actors, it was an enjoyable night and a great play (I have to say that beacue I know the author) but I expect most Crucible and Lyceum regulars would be able to see the big difference in quality, too.

However, most things there are worth a look to the dedicated theatre goers, and it is worth the comparison. If people really want a laugh, go and see the massive range of quality that is the SADATA one act play festival. I've seen some ok things at the always half-empty festival, but a lot of very funny amatuer stuff. Think of the things you would see in a Peter Kay mockumentory (woodern performance, terrible scripts, shaking sets, non-existant directing, crazy miscasting) but much funnier because it is real!

As for the empty seats in the Lyceum, this is a issue all around the country and it is why Sheffield Theatres get grants and funding. Some shows in the last year (like West Side Story which had a two week run or Blood Brothers) sold out quickly and it was very hard to get a seat, but other shows (especially drama and dance) don't sell quite so well and there are often a lot of empty seats. However, if the theatres didn't put on this mix of drama, dance, musicals, etc, then they wouldn't get the funding because they wouldn't be providing for everyones tastes.

Edited by Snook