Female perfumes-what is the difference?

Quite a few of my scents are officially either unisex or masculine because I tend to dislike many sweet scents and like much more woody scents, so out of my 110 or so scents I'd say that approximately 20 are officially masculine scents and another 20 are unisex. One of my faves of all time is Givenchy Gentleman- and it gets lots of compliments when I wear it too.

Enter Johnny Nash. Yep as always, there are more questions than answers. Although, no shortage of answers on here. With such a vast quantity of perfumes Medusa, I equate that with a certain degree of knowledge /experience, and if you are too modest to buy that (and you probably are) then certainly a fair understanding relating to perfumes.

:idea: So, may I cut to the chase and ask you which couple of fragrances from your one hundred plus collection would you say are the strongest. Something that “hits you”, even if it does not remain so potent after a couple of hours. Clearly I am searching with defined purpose-I trust you can simplify this and save me some time.

All I know is that "Eternity" on women makes me want to shag them.

Interesting thread and quite a thought provoking post above - in contrast, if you had to pick just one aftershave / cologne to go on a man, that makes a woman want to shag him, which one would it be ?

As long as you are clean, there is no need to use perfume.

You can even get perfumes that make you smell like a cake. Why would you want to smell like a cake unless you want to be eaten?

Let your natural scent do its job. It's supposed to be far more alluring.

You can even get perfumes that make you smell like a cake. Why would you want to smell like a cake unless you want to be eaten?

err um..well maybe that is the reason in the example you give :o

As long as you are clean, there is no need to use perfume.

Let your natural scent do its job. It's supposed to be far more alluring.

Imagine being blind and eating the person that smells like cake, just by accident. :o

err um..well maybe that is the reason in the example you give :o

Indeed, but the point is if one wishes to be eaten, one needn't smell like a cake. Like I said, if you're clean (especially doon thar), your natural scent can be the most alluring "appetite whetter" there is.

Mmm lovely moist cake.

Interesting thread and quite a thought provoking post above - in contrast, if you had to pick just one aftershave / cologne to go on a man, that makes a woman want to shag him, which one would it be ?

I assume one of the ladies here would know ?

:idea: So, may I cut to the chase and ask you which couple of fragrances from your one hundred plus collection would you say are the strongest. Something that “hits you”, even if it does not remain so potent after a couple of hours. Clearly I am searching with defined purpose-I trust you can simplify this and save me some time.

Are you interested in smelling good AND having strong sillage on your scent, or just smelling a lot?

Dior Poison (the original one) has just about the biggest impact of any scent I've tried, even in the lower strengths. Personally it makes me want to hurl, but it's got sillage to spare for 12 hours after application. Unfortunately it's also the sort of fragrance that if you overdo it nobody around you can ignore that you're wearing it!

Angel also has huge sillage and even with only a couple of sprays of EdP I used to get compliments from others, so it's obvious that they could smell it too.

Clinique Aromatics Elixir also has huge sillage, to the point that it gives lots of people headaches.

Givenchy Gentleman is one of my favourite scents, but it has to be treated extremely gently or you can clear the whole bus on your way to work!

I'm sure that there are lots of others which have similar sillage but I don't know about them. There are many thousands of perfumes than anyone who isn't a professional in the industry could smell in a lifetime.

Thank yer very much maam...."just one more thing", Can you tell me what sillage means?

Also, is Angel & EDP the same thing?

Edited by skip raider

Are you interested in smelling good AND having strong sillage on your scent, or just smelling a lot?

Dior Poison (the original one) has just about the biggest impact of any scent I've tried, even in the lower strengths. Personally it makes me want to hurl, but it's got sillage to spare for 12 hours after application. Unfortunately it's also the sort of fragrance that if you overdo it nobody around you can ignore that you're wearing it!

Angel also has huge sillage and even with only a couple of sprays of EdP I used to get compliments from others, so it's obvious that they could smell it too.

Clinique Aromatics Elixir also has huge sillage, to the point that it gives lots of people headaches.

Givenchy Gentleman is one of my favourite scents, but it has to be treated extremely gently or you can clear the whole bus on your way to work!

I'm sure that there are lots of others which have similar sillage but I don't know about them. There are many thousands of perfumes than anyone who isn't a professional in the industry could smell in a lifetime.

My bold

Ain't that the truth! I've nearly been knocked out by the strength of it when a friend's put some on. I'd swear I could smell it when I went through the kitchen door and she was in the front room. And it's one of those "heavy" scents that gives me an instant headache.

I assume one of the ladies here would know ?

Jpg, joop or ultraviolet mmmm I'm not fussy

Thank yer very much maam...."just one more thing", Can you tell me what sillage means?

Also, is Angel & EDP the same thing?

Sillage (pronounced 'seearge'- it's French) is the way that the fragrance projects out to others.

Some fragrances are lovely and long lasting but are only noticeable to others when they're very close to you. Hermès Calèche is like that- lovely but quite subtle.

Other fragrances are about as subtle as a wet fish to the side of the face, even in the eau de toilette (EdT) or eau de parfum (EdP) strengths. (and there's the answer to your other question BTW!)

That's not to say that strong sillage is either good or bad, it's just important to know whether you're about to expose your entire office to a scent that they may not like but be captive with it all day courtesy of you! If you read reviews of a fragrance many will state whether they are 'work safe' which is short hand for meaning that you won't offend anyone with a high sillage fragrance when they're sitting next to you all day.