Can I run Linux and XP on the same PC?

andyk68

#andyk68, copying the iso to a usb stick wont work so look up Unetbootin.

It a program for windows that allows you to create a live boot-up usb stick from an ISO from most Linux distros. Simple to use and take about 20 minutes to do. Don't forget to change the bios settings to boot from USB though.

If you do install it then you could use Remastersys (Debian based only) to create your own custom ISO and then do the same with Unetbootin and make a custom live USB distro fom it. I made one that way for my 10" Advent.

I'm not to keen on Ubuntu and prefer Xubuntu as its smaller and less memory intensive.

Gparted is another option, but I have to admit I used Unetbootin when I put Ubuntu Netbook remix on my Acer.

I downloaded the normal version, 9.1. I did look at the netbook version though, apart from it being made for netbook resolution what is the difference? Thx for the link.

The netbook remix version is optimised for netbooks and is a better option, if you look on the aspireone forum you will see there are more threads discussing and offering support for it, because it is presumably the easier option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Netbook_Remix

I am going to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 Karmic Koala over the weekend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karmic_Koala#Ubuntu_9.10_.28Karmic_Koala.29

Edited by Wildcat

Ok I used Unetbootin and made a USB boot stick. I restarted the Netbook and Ubuntu kicked in. I went to the install Ubuntu option because I want both on my Netbook side by side as discussed earlier but when I got to the partition part it said error and then looked like it wanted all the partition to itself. So until I find the answer I will run it live.

Thx for all your help.

Ok I used Unetbootin and made a USB boot stick. I restarted the Netbook and Ubuntu kicked in. I went to the install Ubuntu option because I want both on my Netbook side by side as discussed earlier but when I got to the partition part it said error and then looked like it wanted all the partition to itself. So until I find the answer I will run it live.

Thx for all your help.

you will need to create a separate partition if you want to run linux and xp (actually any two operating systems) "side by side".

i would imagine that your xp installation will have claimed the entire disk. presumably your xp filesystem is NTFS, there are tools which will allow you to shrink an NTFS filesystem which will allow you to create a new partition which you can install linux from.

you will then need a boot loader which will give you a menu which will allow you to boot either xp or linux, the most popular is grub, which will probably arrive as part of the linux distro. if it doesn't do it all automatically then there are plenty of recipies on the net for setting up dual booting or one of the techie doodes on here will tell you how to do it :)

I have a distro, ubuntu netbook remix, i also have a bootable usb stick that lets me boot linux but when the live linux starts there is an icon to let you install ubuntu alongside xp and it also partitions for you. This is the part that is not working though, it gives an error then ubuntu tries to take all the partition for its self. I like the look of ubuntu and I'm typing this while using it.

I have a distro, ubuntu netbook remix, i also have a bootable usb stick that lets me boot linux but when the live linux starts there is an icon to let you install ubuntu alongside xp and it also partitions for you. This is the part that is not working though, it gives an error then ubuntu tries to take all the partition for its self. I like the look of ubuntu and I'm typing this while using it.

you will need to repartition the disk.

if you have nothing on your netbook which you want to keep and you have a proper xp install disk not a ghost image of an xp system then i'd suggest repartitioning the hard disk, reinstalling xp and then installing ubuntu.

I have a netbook with a XP and Ubuntu Netbook Remix dual boot. The easiest way that I found was to shrink the XP partition using EASEUS Partition Manager

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Leaving the new space as unformatted, run UNR from a USB flash drive.When the install comes to the disk partition bit, it will see that you have a unformatted part of your drive and automatically want to install on that section.

Hope this helps or at least gives you more ideas.