Hillsborough 'better than Bramall Lane'

What a load of tripe, United didnt fill the lane half the time when you were in the prem so why would things change?

The stats say different, on the rare occasion there were a few hundred off capacity it was due down to the away unsold allocation.

Tripe? look it up.

What a load of tripe, United didnt fill the lane half the time when you were in the prem so why would things change?

Average crowd 30+

Even during Wednesday's successful period in PL they never managed to average over 30K, so what thinks that you'll draw in 35k? United averaged above 30k despite having a poor season in the top flight, IF United establish themselves in PL then expect the 35K barrier to be broken!

did you forget wednesday averaged more in the season you went up despite us being in a relegation battle, who cares mate, we all know united average more now because of the position you have been in the last 4 years, easy to say you have a better average support when you are 'supposedly' aiming for promotion, if we had a sound finance and top championship squad you think our attendance would be so bad. jesus christ man, all these attendence comments are getting tiring.

Oh its this old argument again!

Back when we were getting - 20 k and you lot were boasting about getting over 20k, the atmosphere at BDTBL were still of better quality than at Hillsborough.

It doesn't bother me one bit if you have more fans than us, or if you are seen as the bigger club by the rest of the world and beyond.. The atmosphere, and quality of support at my beloved Bramall Lane will, and has always been better than at Hillsborough.

Ive heard stories of when we were in the old fourth division, how BDTBL was always rocking! This was when Wednesday were flying high in the top division, with attendances of over 30k!

I have no doubt that Wednesday have hundreds of thousands of supporters world wide, I do not envy this, as United have a brilliant set of fans, maybe not the most, but the sheer buzz you get from standing up, and singing your heart out on the Kop is priceless!

Things may well turn around in a few years, we may only be getting 15k at BDTBL every week, but you can guarantee that the magic will still be there, as we have a solid set of die hard fans! You can guarantee that the atmosphere will not decrease one bit! (The same can not be said for Wednesday, this has been proven)..

Wednesday can have there massive fan base, they can have there massive stadium! BDTBL is where the magic is!

UTB!

talk about narrow minded, of course a blade will say that, how can you compare if you went to a select few wednesday home games, ridiculous statements, i got free tickets to blades vs dingles and i thought that atmosphere was flat, completely tripe, but thats because i didnt get involved with any chanting, singing etc, you only feel the true atmosphere when your in the thick of the action (so to speak) and no its not just united, i went to the manchester derby, it was the same, went to the liverpool derby, it was the same. you think its rocking because your in the middle of all the singing when in fact your efforts arent even heard the other side of the ground. if you arent involved in the singing you just sit there and the atmosphere seems sterile.

take your blinkers off for once.

im not repeating my attendence comment again because like i say, attendences cant compare until the clubs are even on and off the pitch, as for best vocal fans than ours, then see how you are at leicester, in form team on a roll, see if you make more noise than a team bottom of the form table and had not scored in 5-6 games, not to mention losing 3-0 :loopy::loopy:

if i recall steveblade your only 15 or so? correct? how the hell can you comment on wednesdays atmosphere in our so called glory days!? im 19 and i havent spoke once about the past because i cant, so why do you feel you can? all youve ever known about sheff football is united being the better team, so for you its easy to sit there at home and type away with your little fingers when you dont know how it feels to be in a relegation battle every other year, or to not know what is happening behind the scenes at your club. my bro is 17 and him and his mates are united fans, they take the p**s but i dont listen because i know they only know of the times when united are winning and near the top of the league every season, if the roles were reversed between united and wednesday right now i would guarantee you would be posting the exact same comments ive posted about wednesday fans, i know ive ranted here too much now but its annoying when naive united fans compare their club (with good fincances and a very good champ squad) to wednesday who are the complete opposite. i hope the more veteran of united fans would agree with some of my comments but probably not, its sheff forum afterall ;):hihi:

The small limited number of glory hunters am sure existed at the lane in the premiership, but the increase in support has been developed over years of marketing and hard work.

Three years after our single season in the premiership where we averaged 30,000 including what, an average of 2,000 away fans, leaving 28,000. United have still held on to 26,000 less avarage 500 away fans..

So showing very few glory hunters after 3 seasons, or do you disagree?

Average 500 away fans? :loopy: Proof indeed that you're just making up numbers to try and suit your argument. So a thread about the merits of the respective stadiums gets twisted into an attendance argument by a blade who believes that getting a few thousand more attending (on dirt cheap tickets) for 4 years of the last 30 when the clubs have had such contrasting fortunes for a decade, actually means that the blades fans are somehow "better". I remember you being in a similar position and averaging less than 10k at this level.

For what it's worth, no matter how much the blades love to continually regurgitate myths about Hillsborough being on the verge of collapse, it's still better than the lane on every side apart from the respective away ends.

The bitterness and squealing from that corner of the city has been absolutely hilarious since it was revealed that nobody outside of your own blinkered fanbase actually shares the view that the lane is better than Hillsborough. A bit of cladding and a small 4 star hotel doesn't make a great stadium...

ha if only you could afford some cladding!! eh

ha if only you could afford some cladding!! eh

we can in january, have you not heard what strafford has said :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Jewsons may have a january sale on for you :)

Jewsons may have a january sale on for you :)

ill facebook him and tell him :hihi:

Anyone holding a strong opinion on this would have to have an intimate knowldge of both grounds, well that leaves me out of the equasion on two counts, these being:-,

For tha past 40 odd years I have only really known the south stand intimately, it has been improved gradually over the years, extended outwards and upwards, with the addition of conference suits and retaurants. I saw the Reading game from the grandstand, it's very impressive, albeit a bit too much up in the gods for my liking. The last time I used the kop it was all standing, I sat on the north stand for a cup game circa 18 years ago, and last used the Leppings Lane stand prior to crowd segregation.

As for Bramall Lane, the last time that I was there I watched a derby game from the upper tier of the lower stand, it was when they had the silence for the two building workers who had been killed in an accident on the kop. Prior to that I saw derbies from the corner John St - Bramall Ln standing area and from the south stand. I last went on the kop for a Utd v Swindon match, when the late Mel Rees played a blinder. Oh yes, I recall watching Utd v Luton from the bottom tier of the old John St stand. I tell a lie, I watched a friendly (maybe County Cup) game from the away stand, we stuffed the blades, thanks to a great performance fron Dan Petrescu.

So I can hardly be classed as an expert on the entirety of either ground, something that I most probably share with most blades and owls. However, some actually claim an intimate knowledge of of each other's ground, stand by stand and seat by seat, imagination can play strange games with the mind. ;)

Edited by crookesey

Although bramall lane is more modern hillsborough is still the better stadium