How many hours is a working week?

With my own job possibly vanishing in a couple of years' time I've started looking again at the job market and found one that rather intrigued me.

http://www.utility-solutions.co.uk/6_careers/6_1_current.htm

(it's the Marketing Co-ordinator one halfway down the page)

As it's only a temporary job to cover maternity leave I wasn't going to apply, but one thing leapt out at me - the working hours are shown as 0800-1730!

Now even with an hour for lunch that's still an 8½ hour day, which makes a working week of an incredible 42½ hours!

Like most office workers, my full time working week is 35 hours; I know some places do 37 hours, but it's rare these days to find anywhere that insists on their staff working over 7 hours longer than other places.

So am I out of touch or is 42½ hours a week far too many?

It's certainly more than the norm, but anything up to 48 hours a week is still legally okay.

But them Polish work 12 hour shifts 4 on 4 off and work everyday off as overtime....

But them Polish work 12 hour shifts 4 on 4 off and work everyday off as overtime....

Cant just blame them though we used to work 12hr shifts 4 on 4 off its nothing new.

Office workers are normally 9-5 = 8 hours = 40 hours a week, right?

but usually with an hour for lunch which reduces it to 35

I think to be considered full time the minimum is 30 hours a week, and the legal maximum is 48.

Most seem to be 35 (as explained by Sadact above)

Cant just blame them though we used to work 12hr shifts 4 on 4 off its nothing new.

I ain't blaming them, if they are prepared to work 84 hour weeks, they deserve a very good wage IMO.

I think to be considered full time the minimum is 30 hours a week, and the legal maximum is 48.

Most seem to be 35 (as explained by Sadact above)

I am working a 37 hr week but when I used to work 12hr shifts 4 on 4 off I seem to remember the basic hours being 39, the rest being premium hours / accrued holiday hours.

More than likely Friday is poets day bringing office hours back to the norm.

I work at least 50-55 hours a week. 8-5 with an hour for lunch sounds like bliss!

maybe an hour and half for lunch or early finish friday hardly ever worked friday afternoons