Drivers flouting mobile phone ban.

It could be that the punishment isn't enough of a deterrent. The automatic ban that drink-driving incurs seems to have worked pretty well in reducing the offence, and if driving whilst using a mobile is held to be more dangerous than drink driving perhaps the same penalty might produce the same results.

In either case there will always be the few who believe they will never be caught, or take a rare chance, but I believe the penalty would deter most current offenders.

All that is required is a little common sense. Instead of sill black and white laws that surprise surprise result in a fine and more money in this governments coffers. Should someone be fined for talking on a mobile while stuck in a traffic jam? No they shouldn't. Should someone be banned for a year for texting whilst doing 50mph on a single carriageway or speaking on the phone at 80mph on the motorway? Yes I think so. Instead of being black & white perhaps punishments should fit the crime. Someone who kills someone whilst driving on the phone or texting should be charged with manslaughter. Someone on the phone explaining to his boss he will be late cause he is stuck in traffic and hasn't moved for 20 minutes should be left the hell alone.

Bet you have a crap job with no important role, Dont have a girlfriend that loves you, or family that cares for you, why would you need 2 hands to drive a mordern auto car:huh:

Pull over. Park up. Answer the phone. If you cannot and if the call is important - they will try again. And yeah - you not only need two hands to drive a car properly but you also need to give the road the all the attention you can - which means - ignore your mobile if it rings whilst you are driving or get a hands free set.

Dragon of Ana

How about manufacturers of mobile phones and car makers get together to add software to phones and cars that means mobiles don't work whilst the vehicle is moving? Or, the phones automatically go in to "plane" mode?

Am I right in thinking the biggest cause of the issue is the 'thinking' done whilst on the phone that distracts, and not physically holding the phone to your ear?

Am I right in thinking the biggest cause of the issue is the 'thinking' done whilst on the phone that distracts, and not physically holding the phone to your ear?

Do you still use your mobile phone whilst driving?

Do you still use your mobile phone whilst driving?

I don't have a driving license, and don't drive.

It is quite annoying when people do use them though (after all I've said in this thread.... lol )

More drivers are using hand-held mobile phones than before tougher penalties were introduced two years ago, the Transport Research Laboratory has said.

It found 2.6% of car drivers used hand-held phones in 2006 - when fines rose to £60 and three points could be added to licences - compared with 2.8% now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8407142.stm

What's to be done? Scrap the fine, make it 6 points? Confiscate the vehicle?

3% seems ridiculously low to me, I see a lot more than 3 drivers out of a hundred on a mobile.

I'm a mild mannered person but it enrages me when I see a numpty driver chatting on a mobile. Tests have shown drivers on a mobile are as dangerous as drunk drivers, so perhaps those idiots who flout the ban should be banned from driving, like drunk drivers?

Have to agree, just from driving to Leeds each day you can clearly see the number of people on phones is way over 3%. They were at pains in the report to say that the law is being enforced, which I don't believe at all.

Personally I think it's yet another thing the police can't actually police because their numbers have been so drastically eroded due to the reliance on cameras. Camera's that (ofcourse) can't catch people on phones or driving dangerously.

After nearly a decade of the proliferation of cameras and reduced traffic officers, the standard of driving has reduced accordingly. You can pretty much do anything you want on the roads these days, the chance of being caught is almost non existant.

Speed cameras free up police time and allow them to catch other idiot drivers. There are 3500 speed cameras in this country, hardly any when you think of the entire road network. To replace all those cameras with trafpol would involve 10 thousand officers working 8 hour ****s. Want to pay the taxes to fund them all?

We need more cameras, and more trafpol.

However - if my car is likely to be crushed or a prison sentence then I am much less likely to take the risk surely?

Dragon of Ana

But if you do take the risk (for whatever reason) and happen to get spotted, then it makes much more sense to run, and some people most definately will.

This may increase the danger to other road users and pedestrians more than the danger posed by those using the phones in the first place.

Bet you have a crap job with no important role, Dont have a girlfriend that loves you, or family that cares for you, why would you need 2 hands to drive a mordern auto car:huh:

My, what a strange response.

Whilst you're here, what's a 'mordern auto car'?

It makes you wonder how businesses and people managed 20 years ago without their precious mobiles, doesn't it?

Like I said: "Look at me, Mr Important."

Edited by Ousetunes

Can any of the Sheffield Forumers recommend any other laws I could get away with breaking whilst the police are putting their time to better use?