Big hitters of 50s and 60s

Mick Mills now there's a name I well remember :) - a really top chap (you would never have imagined him as a boxer - no offence meant Mick :hihi:) worked with him on a Henry Boot Construction site in 80's at British Steel

Owd Micks still knocking the bags about at Tommy Wilsons 50+ and still a handfull:hihi:

Owd Micks still knocking the bags about at Tommy Wilsons 50+ and still a handfull:hihi:

Never held a title of any description and loved a few pints, a decent undercard filler though and always entertained.

Never held a title of any description and loved a few pints, a decent undercard filler though and always entertained.

Harry Gibbs said he was the hardest hitter (at any weight) he ever saw.

Harry Gibbs said he was the hardest hitter (at any weight) he ever saw.

Won his first 16 fights then it all went downhill rapid the biggest two fights of his career were against Prince Rodney for the central area title and he was stopped in the 4th round on both occassions.

didnt mick cowan have a haulage yard off chesterfield rd. did bernard leedham live hackenthorpe/ birley way

yep bernard lived on birley he's now sadly passed away 3 year ago he was my uncle

yep bernard lived on birley he's now sadly passed away 3 year ago he was my uncle

sorry to hear that. i used to have a drink with him in the frechville many years ago and talk work because we both drove lorries. do you know billy then

sorry to hear that. i used to have a drink with him in the frechville many years ago and talk work because we both drove lorries. do you know billy then

yep billy is my uncle aswell im pete's son

yep billy is my uncle aswell im pete's son

couldnt remember petes name, they used to live opposite birley spa school. knew billy more from school although we was in different years, they used to go in the gorse at back of the school with their air rifles, lost count of how many times i got ambushed whilst walking through there lol. met bernard some years later when i gave him a lift in my lorry then kept seeing him in fretchville pub. he had a reputation but was always a great bloke with me and used to have a laugh at some of the stories he used to tell me. i used to live on birley spa lane just up from plover. john

couldnt remember petes name, they used to live opposite birley spa school. knew billy more from school although we was in different years, they used to go in the gorse at back of the school with their air rifles, lost count of how many times i got ambushed whilst walking through there lol. met bernard some years later when i gave him a lift in my lorry then kept seeing him in fretchville pub. he had a reputation but was always a great bloke with me and used to have a laugh at some of the stories he used to tell me. i used to live on birley spa lane just up from plover. john

he were a top bloke bernard did you know david younger brother the house across from school were my grandma's where they all lived

Edited by Hacky lad

yes remember david but cant put a face to the name its so long ago. yes tictac what a pair they was can remember them wearing the stripe flat caps. where did you know them from ?

yes remember david but cant put a face to the name its so long ago. yes tictac what a pair they was can remember them wearing the stripe flat caps. where did you know them from ?

Would that be the same time as you had your Red & Black striped flat cap?