Big hitters of 50s and 60s

People have all sorts of heroes, Some thought that Churchill was a hero the same man that turned troops onto working class people,

or Thatcher who turned the police onto the miners and steelworkers.

To some the Taliban are heroes the same brave men who shoot little girls in the head for wanting an education .

We also had the I.R.A. blowing up shopping centres killing men women and children .

All these and many more are heroes to some .

Fortunately The Sheffield hard men only usually hurt each other but as far as subnormal is concerned they are not in the same league as the real pathetic individuals in this World.

Two wrongs don't make a right and i'll always maintain it's wrong to glorify violence, especially on what's supposed to be a family forum.

Two wrongs don't make a right and i'll always maintain it's wrong to glorify violence, especially on what's supposed to be a family forum.

You are right of course but I would like to point out that some of the guys mentioned on this thread are Sheffield characters that are well known in the working class areas of Sheffield and are part of Sheffield local history.

Perhaps some schools will refer pupils to the Sheffield Gang Wars by J.P.Bean ,This book tells us all about the Hard men in the depression era of the 1930's and how they were eventually taken of the streets.

Some of the descendants of these men went on to become very successful businessmen and women and so are part of Sheffield's History.

And so their story's are just as important a part of the Forum as say the good? and the great? from an Industrial or Political back ground indeed some folk would find them more interesting.

if albert was behind you when you saying this abuot you would be so knocked out mate...!!!

no he wouldnt hes still my friend nowt wrong wi being gay mate but getting knocked out while he was behind me wouldnt be my imediate worry lol

no he wouldnt hes still my friend nowt wrong wi being gay mate but getting knocked out while he was behind me wouldnt be my imediate worry lol

I knew Albert Chinn slightly when I was in my teens he knocked about with someone called Harry Hague.

No mate he was staying at the hotel.

Did you know Malcolm Seargent?

i used to meet malcolm in the captive queen sat and sun nights.

i used to meet malcolm in the captive queen sat and sun nights.

How is Malcolm these days.

How sad to come on this thread and be so self righteous, the human race and the world itself has evolved through violence, some of which is glorified and some which is not ..... not condoning the actions of anybody but that's the way it will always be !

didnt mick cowan have a haulage yard off chesterfield rd. did bernard leedham live hackenthorpe/ birley way

Eddie Dyson (deceased) another name from the past who frequented the lion pub on the Norfork park and not seen his first wife Lorraine for many years.

I have heard of many of the men mentioned but never met them cos of my age

One man i used to hear of a lot was Lol Knight , i saw his son a few times when i was younger , Dave , i think he was called .

Dave was a nice enough lad, I always got on with him, I fear that like Lol booze got to him. If memory serves me right Dave predeceased Lol.

I saw Dave box Mick Mills at the Top Rank when they were amatuers, what a battle.

I have heard of many of the men mentioned but never met them cos of my age

One man i used to hear of a lot was Lol Knight , i saw his son a few times when i was younger , Dave , i think he was called .

Mick Mills now there's a name I well remember :) - a really top chap (you would never have imagined him as a boxer - no offence meant Mick :hihi:) worked with him on a Henry Boot Construction site in 80's at British Steel