Barriers at Sheffield Station - Application Rejected (Nov 2009)

Stormy

I still can't see an alternative to barriers to combat fare dodging.

Last week some girl got on at Sheffield and tried to buy a ticket for Barnsley when challenged for a ticket, then proceeded to moan that she didn't know it was the rule you had to buy a ticket before you get on a train.

You don't have to buy a ticket before you get on the train. The offence is to travel without a ticket and without trying to buy a ticket off the conductor before you get off the train. Lots of people buy tickets off the conductor. The downside is that cheap returns aren't available if you buy on the train. Once I tried to buy a ticket off the conductor but he couldn't sell me one as he didn't have his machine so I travelled for free. But that wasn't my fault and no offence as I'd made the effort to pay. You can also travel without having money if you give the conductor your name and address and pay later. The best way round this is for all trains to have conductors, not to install barriers.

Which toilets are you saying are disgusting? The toilets on platforms 2/5 and 6 have all been recently refurbished.

And where do you get your info on the barriers on the toilets being installed to stop drug users?

the toilets on the platform had a previous refurbishment only a few years ago and the ones on the concourse are fairly new. All pretty much trashed and abused.

Cleaning staff do their best to keep them in a reasonable state but when you regularly get broken seats, doors etc, needles left in toilet roll dispensers, graffiti etc there is only so much you can do.

And I somehow don't think it was ticket holding train passengers responsible...

As you say all platform toilets now refurbished, work currently taking place to install turnstiles.

Which toilets are you saying are disgusting? The toilets on platforms 2/5 and 6 have all been recently refurbished.

And where do you get your info on the barriers on the toilets being installed to stop drug users?

The toilets are disgusting having used them.

Why else do stations charge for toilets? It's not to make money it is to stop druggies going in and out all day to smack up.

The toilets are disgusting having used them.

Why else do stations charge for toilets? It's not to make money it is to stop druggies going in and out all day to smack up.

How is charging going to stop the druggies using them?

You don't have to buy a ticket before you get on the train. The offence is to travel without a ticket and without trying to buy a ticket off the conductor before you get off the train. Lots of people buy tickets off the conductor. The downside is that cheap returns aren't available if you buy on the train. Once I tried to buy a ticket off the conductor but he couldn't sell me one as he didn't have his machine so I travelled for free. But that wasn't my fault and no offence as I'd made the effort to pay. You can also travel without having money if you give the conductor your name and address and pay later. The best way round this is for all trains to have conductors, not to install barriers.

I suggest you read the National Rail Conditions of Carriage - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf - as what you've posted is incorrect.

2. Requirement to hold a ticket

Before you travel you must have a ticket or other authority to travel which is valid for the

train(s) you intend to use and for the journey you intend to make.

There are exceptions laid out in the document, but it basically comes down to you must buy a ticket before boarding unless this is impossible (i.e. no ticket office / machines are all broken, not you were running late).

How is charging going to stop the druggies using them?

It's a deterrent. If they usually go back and forth 10 days a day, they may then decide to go elsewhere and spend the £3 on a bottle of White Lightning.

Some will pay every time. But some will move on.

I witnessed on the train from Meadowhall to Sheffield in a saturday afternoon last November. When the conductor came, a young lad sat next to me showed his Sheffield Hallam Uni Card and paid £1.90 to the conductor, and then he was issued a ticket. The conductor didn't say any words like punishment, fine or penalty. At that time the Adult anytime single for Sheffield to Meadowhall was £1.90 and now it's £2. It seems there's a rule that students can travel between Sheffield and Meadowhall without purchasing a ticket in advance, and are charged as the adult anytime single.

For me being a 16-25 railcard holder I do buy the off-peak return to Meadowhall that costs £1.50 only.

• 4 months later...

Paul Blomfield (MP for Sheffield Central, Labour) raised this issue in Parliament yesterday, asking the leader of the house for some time to be allocated for a debate:

"May we have a debate on the Department for Transport’s policy of installing station barriers even when they block pedestrian access to established routes for non-rail users? Such is the situation in Sheffield. The previous Government made a commitment that no barriers would be installed until alternative access routes were provided, but the current Government have changed their mind, apparently."

Reply from George Young (Leader of the House of Commons):

"The hon. Gentleman raises an important issue. I will raise it with my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Transport and ask him to write to him."

Ref: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2011-10-13a.479.0&m=40525#g491.2

Edited by vinceb
broken sentence