Possible Closure of Firth Park Post Office

Like a few other residents of Firth Park, I've been wondering what's going to happen to the Post Office, now that the Co-op's taken over Somerfield, and moved next door.

Joan Barton, a local councillor, attended a recent meeting of Friends of Firth Park and she's been trying to find out, too. The staff don't know and the Post Office aren't being terribly forthcoming. So she's organised a petition, to show how much demand there is for the service, just in case the Post Office have plans to close it down.

The petition will be in Firth Park Library for the next week, so if you are a local resident who wants to keep the service, please pop in and sign it. It isn't on display, you just need to ask at the counter.

The following is the wording of the petition:

To the Post Office Ltd

"We the undersigned believe that the area of Firth Park, in Sheffield, is entitled to the services of the Post Office, as it has been for decades. We are seeking an assurance from the Post Office Limited, that the service currently available in the area will be safe for the foreseeable future. This reassurance is necessary in light of the threat of closure posed to the current Post Office, situated within the Firth Park Co-Operative Supermarket, of which the lease is due to expire in February 2010. We therefore call upon the Post Office Ltd to do all it can to make sure its services in Firth Park will not be affected by the potential closure of the current franchise at Sheffield’s Firth Park Co-Operative Supermarket."

A petition won't say anything about how much demand there is for the PO services, only about how many people think there ought to be a Post Office.

The measure of how much the services are actually in demand is whether the Post Office is profitable or not. If it isn't, it will close.

I'll sign it , but don't hold your breath. We tried everything that was legal when we found out that Brightside Post Office was for the chop a few years ago . All to no avail , apart from a very terse and abrupt communication from the guy responsible for reccomending the closures at that time.

I am not far from firthpark and i for 1 will not be sighning this.

That post office is rubbish the staff are ridiculas and snotty and rude and why they have 5 or howevermany positions puzzles me because there is only ever 2 working or 3 tops with 1 pretending to count the money while the que is getting bigger and bigger.

The other 1 is outside puffing on a fag!

close it down i say and lets have back the flower estate po and and sicey po,you allways got great service in both and a smile from the staff.

The post office is a franchise (much like the one in Hillsborough) I would suggest speaking to the co-op Head office.

I can't believe, over the last year or so , how quickly the Firth Park shopping area is going downhill . What used to be a thriving shopping centre with a variety of shops ..ie, butchers, bakers, greengrocers, electrical retailers, chemists, proper banks, decorating shop, fishmonger, shoeshops, dress shops, toy shop, newsagents, ...to name a few . Now what have we got to choose from ??? How many more barbers, betting shops , takeaways and halal butchers do we need for heavens sake !!!

To top it all off, the take over of Somerfields by the Co-op is starting to drive folk away to the bigger supermarkets thanks to the ridiculous difference in prices we are now expected to pay . I know of many who now spend the extra couple of quid on a bus ride now , and still get more for their money .

Apart from the over 70's, who actually uses Post Offices on a regular basis.

And I can never understand why the elderly use them - are pensions not paid into bank accounts these days?

I am not far from firthpark and i for 1 will not be sighning this.

That post office is rubbish the staff are ridiculas and snotty and rude and why they have 5 or howevermany positions puzzles me because there is only ever 2 working or 3 tops with 1 pretending to count the money while the que is getting bigger and bigger.

The other 1 is outside puffing on a fag!

close it down i say and lets have back the flower estate po and and sicey po,you allways got great service in both and a smile from the staff.

I'll agree with you wholeheartedly about the service that we've had to put up with . I stood in a queue in there last month for almost 40 minutes to get a proof of posting certificate... (because of the uncertainty about the length of the postal strikes).... for some university documents which were very important to me. No hint of an apology for the length of my wait and more of a scowl than a smile.

I too would love to see Sicey P.O open again.

Having said that, it IS the only one we've got left in the area and someone has to keep fighting them off.

Posts offices wouldn't close if enough people used them.

If enough people don't use it, then not enough people need it.

Use it or lose it, and I say don't complain if you don't use it and end up losing it.

Apart from the over 70's, who actually uses Post Offices on a regular basis.

And I can never understand why the elderly use them - are pensions not paid into bank accounts these days?

all the times i have been stood waiting in this post office i,d say 1 in 10 people are actually over 70.............

all the times i have been stood waiting in this post office i,d say 1 in 10 people are actually over 70.............

Ok - the elderly and the poor then.

Ok - the elderly and the poor then.

no local people doing various business that can only be conducted in a post office:loopy: