Tell me about Sheffield's cultural heritage

Today I received the invitation below.

Sheffield is bidding to be UK city of culture in 2013.

So what do you think Sheffield's cultural heritage is? Galleries and museums? Steel and cutlery?

I would be interested to know what ordinary Sheffield folk think makes Sheffield special.

First post here by the way so hello though I have been lurking for a while.

INVITATION

"OPEN CONSULTATION"

Sheffield’s bid for UK City of Culture 2013 &

Sheffield’s Cultural Strategy

As key stakeholders in Sheffield’s cultural and creative sector, you are invited to attend an ‘Open Consultation’ event to help inform Sheffield’s bid for UK City of Culture 2013 and contribute to a refreshed Cultural Strategy.

Date: 23rd November 2009

Venue: Long Gallery, Millennium Gallery, Arundel Gate, Sheffield, S1 2PP

Time: 2 – 5pm

*Invitation attached*

Please RSVP to <removed> to confirm your place.

Edited by HotPhil
privacy

We have got a good university and some students what attend it have some culture. I know some people who live in Crookes who are cultured. They have stripped floorboards and one of them is a professor, the other works as an art buyer, in Sheffield! It really is happening. Of course my other friend is a Sheffield born and bred racist wassok but his distant relative was killed in the great Sheffield flood. History in the making if it hadn't already happened.

We have a really good pub culture and if I want to live a cosmopolitan and bohemian lifestyle, I only have to drive a mere 170 miles down the M1.

We have got a good university and some students what attend it have some culture. I know some people who live in Crookes who are cultured. They have stripped floorboards and one of them is a professor, the other works as an art buyer, in Sheffield! It really is happening. Of course my other friend is a Sheffield born and bred racist wassok but his distant relative was killed in the great Sheffield flood. History in the making if it hadn't already happened.

We have a really good pub culture and if I want to live a cosmopolitan and bohemian lifestyle, I only have to drive a mere 170 miles down the M1.

You sound pretty confused, or is it your age?

You sound pretty confused, or is it your age?

There may have been a sprinkling of irony in my reposte but it would seem that you are a football supporter and as such, this may be lost on you.

We have a huge section of Samarlia.

Is that a swastika on your avatar? My eyes aren't as good as they were.

There may have been a sprinkling of irony in my reposte but it would seem that you are a football supporter and as such, this may be lost on you.

A sprinkling, i think the top came off the pepper pot there fella :hihi:

We have a huge section of Samarlia.

This forum also has a huge section of illiterates.

Well I guess I am a little surprised at the replies.

It was a genuine inquiry and one, which if engaged with, could potentially lead down the line to the aspects of Sheffield's cultural heritage that you care about being valued and improved or not.

A few positive comments about the aspects of Sheffield that folk value would be welcome whether it is the people, the accent, the museum collections, the pubs, the proud history as the world centre of cutlery, the invention of stainless steel, the football or whatever.

A lot of money gets spent on supporting and promoting cultural activities which aspect would you like it to be spent on?

They have stripped floorboards and one of them is a professor, .

Brilliant!

On the subject of culture, Sheffield is simply a small town where more people live than in other major cities. It has very little that would make it a real competitor.

If Sheffield was seen as the centre os an area, rather than looking just at the city, then there are brass bands of international repute.

sheffield is the most "clickiest" backstabbing place on earth where everyone is slatin everyone else about sumat t other. however, that said, if there is ever a community to pull together in times of crisis then it is sheffield being it a missing child or pet or someone needing something or other.

another great thing about sheffield is pick on one about sheffield n you pick on em all...we are a very very proud bunch o folk and very very proud of sheffield.

ps, the accent is the best in the world too. eeebygum :hihi:

perhaps the question should be "why are sheffielders so proud to be from sheffield"?