Bus drivers above the law now?

Fact I do not believe everything I read. However I do not seem to hear a good argument as to why the bus drivers are striking. The only information I am getting is from the management side.

So then, since its clear you know why, why are the bus drivers striking? What is it about? Why should we support them? I would love to hear the other point of view. I just cannot seem to find it.

Several very good reasons have been posted on the multitude of threads on this site. Have a search.

Similarly making veiled threats against the forum is a sign of bullying to follow your own agenda(As you appear to wish to start making libellous accusations).

Name calling and accusations against named individuals is not acceptable - generalisations and reprinting of available public informations is not conjecture - neither is it 100% fact.

So if information is within print you allow it to be regurgitated hear. Yet when this has been done where proof has been placed this so called forum pulled threads and posts. This is again double standard due to the fact you accept generalisations and reprinting of public information. Yet do you consider the consequences upon the parties who do not have the ability to react to accusations?

There are topics that you consider unacceptable, but these topics are in print. As to veiled threats of bullying due “to following your own agenda” Where are the accusations and precisely which party is libellous? Is not getting both sides of the argument or dispute the issue hear?

The company in question has made a damming generalisation that is specifically aimed at drivers as a whole. This type of propaganda has been used to simply belittle the reason for the company’s workforce for taking their action. By swaying the public away from the real issue. The failure of said company policy and procedure has to be questioned. It is this that the drivers have taken on. Yet these drivers are not allowed to openly comment on the working practices of First Group but are subjected to changes on hourly basis so the management can lay blame for convenience (see threads on this site for drivers supported when First Group deemed it financially viable to support a driver who had been prosecuted for dangerous driving). Therefore if you believe that all drivers hide behind veils then you are mistaken for those drivers who have openly questioned First Group have been sacked. Are you brave enough to do this?

Or is your finger hovering over the delete button?

i can give a few reasons off the top of my head why the drivers are striking -

Do you find it accepable for them to be given a written/veral or in some cases a final waring for the following reasons?

1) A driver is genuinly ill, and has been advised by his/her doctor to take time off work.

2) A child is seriously ill and there is no-one to look after them.

3) A crisis has happened at home and they need to take a day or two to sort it out

I bet everyone on here that has a cushy job dont think twice when it comes to booking time off work - think of it this way bus drivers dont have that privilage of booking annual leave at there own pleasure they have to take time off as and when the management say, so they dont even have any annual leave days to take when these situations arise do you all really think that is fair?????

Similarly making veiled threats against the forum is a sign of bullying to follow your own agenda(As you appear to wish to start making libellous accusations).

Name calling and accusations against named individuals is not acceptable - generalisations and reprinting of available public informations is not conjecture - neither is it 100% fact.

This would be true if it were in fact public information,the statement made by First was made against the individuals wishes,all of which still have ongoing cases.

The information contained is therefore damaging to the individuals concerned and was presented in such a way to cause such damage.

This information continues to be posted in such a manner as to create damage and is not being presented in such a way that would be viewed as being in the public intrest.

You talk about accusations,the thread is self explanitory,you talk about agendas,whats the forums agenda when its allows such accusations to continue?.

You talk about threats,I see no threats,if you refer to the complaints to the help desk (is this not the correct procedure) these were not threats simply highlighting fact to yourselves.

Would you be supporting this thread if were titled "Sheffileld Forum Above the Law now?" I doubt it very much

Do you find it accepable for them to be given a written/veral or in some cases a final waring for the following reasons?

1) A driver is genuinly ill, and has been advised by his/her doctor to take time off work.

3) A crisis has happened at home and they need to take a day or two to sort it out

I bet everyone on here that has a cushy job dont think twice when it comes to booking time off work - think of it this way bus drivers dont have that privilage of booking annual leave at there own pleasure they have to take time off as and when the management say, so they dont even have any annual leave days to take when these situations arise do you all really think that is fair?????

Also image you are assaulted and take time off to recover and you are dismissed,you have an accident that isnt your fault and you are dismissed,a family member passes away and you are dismissed.

Your doctor states you are unfit for work and the company over rules this effectively calling your own GP a liar and you are dismissed.

All of these things have happened and continue to happen these incidents are fact and but a few of the daily happens within the company.

This is only a small part of why staff want to put an end to what is seen as unfair treatment.

I don't see the name Bob Crow or letters RMT mentioned here? Militant and Unite? :hihi: :hihi: :D:help:

oooh whats this I see,someone named that has nothing to do with the issue...steady on tiger :suspect:

Also image you are assaulted and take time off to recover and you are dismissed,you have an accident that isnt your fault and you are dismissed,a family member passes away and you are dismissed.

Your doctor states you are unfit for work and the company over rules this effectively calling your own GP a liar and you are dismissed.

All of these things have happened and continue to happen these incidents are fact and but a few of the daily happens within the company.

This is only a small part of why staff want to put an end to what is seen as unfair treatment.

I could only think of the few reasons i mentioned, so thanks for adding a few more cheers :)

I agree it doesnt sound fair. So why dont the people concerned take it through the legal channels then? Are there not employment laws to stop this sort of thing happening?

All they are doing by striking is upsetting the customers who are not involved and can do nothing to change these events. Also the managers are just sitting pretty on the revenue they are saving from strike action and the large subsidies they get from us the taxpayer.

I agree it doesnt sound fair. So why dont the people concerned take it through the legal channels then? Are there not employment laws to stop this sort of thing happening?

All they are doing by striking is upsetting the customers who are not involved and can do nothing to change these events. Also the managers are just sitting pretty on the revenue they are saving from strike action and the large subsidies they get from us the taxpayer.

Indeed there are employment laws,but as another pointed out employment law is very different to criminal law.

In employment law the employer only has to have a belief that any wrong has been done by an employee,therefore it does not mean the employee has actualy commited any wrong doing merely that the employer believes they have.

Its all about procedures,providing the correct procedures are followed the employer is home and dry.

employment laws what are they when there at home First just stay within the guidlines - they dont care if they sack a driver whos on top pay (thats a joke in its self) its more cost effective to get rid of one of those drivers pay them off and employ, train someone else who is going to start on basis pay, they save thousands a year doing that!

The point is that its not nice for anyone to have to work in an environment where you are not a valued employee.

Agreed with the previous post. If true, the accusations against First do indeed seem heinous, and I am disinclined to support the bus company as I feel they put the interests of paying passengers as low down on their list of priorites as those of the drivers. However, drivers continuing to strike over a matter of discipline are only shooting themselves in the feet. As evidenced by this forum, people have limited patience with strikes, particularly as they have already had this dispute over pay in a year where most other workers have seen frozen or cut salaries.

Employment law is there to protect the worker, and is the proper forum for this kind of disagreement - perhaps I am naive about the reality of the system in application, or maybe drivers simply aren't prepared to accept that their friends and colleagues have warranted any action from their employers. Drivers in general make no friends of their passengers - there are exceptions but most I come into contact with are, to put it gently, not exceptionally charming.

And the ranting against the forum? There are other media. If something has to be published to be free from moderation, is there anything stopping the union from providing a counter-argument on a different website? You can't blame the (free, let's not forget) forum for protecting it's own interests to avoid any potential legal issues.

employment laws what are they when there at home First just stay within the guidlines - they dont care if they sack a driver whos on top pay (thats a joke in its self) its more cost effective to get rid of one of those drivers pay them off and employ, train someone else who is going to start on basis pay, they save thousands a year doing that!

The point is that its not nice for anyone to have to work in an environment where you are not a valued employee.

Its more the us and them attitude,drivers are constantly treated as the enemy and managment do not work with the employees they work against them.

"you either work for the company or you grace us with your presence.if its the latter your next stop will always be the job centre" obviously im not to name the quoter but there you have it.